In this article, you will find instructions on how to replace the spark plugs and ignition coils on Mitsubishi four-cylinder engines found on Outlander, Lancer, Galant, Eclipse and other models.
What you will need
- Park the car on level ground. Turn off the ignition and set the parking brakes. Allow the engine to cool down.
- Open the hood by pulling the hood release under the dashboard.
- Remove engine cover. It is held in place with three 10mm bolts.
- Unplug the electrical connector from the ignition coils. Repeat for all four coils.
- Remove the 10mm bolts that hold down the ignition coils.
- Use a spark plug socket to remove the spark plugs. Turn ratchet counterclockwise to remove spark plugs.
- Install the new spark plugs. Your new spark plugs should come pre-gapped but it is recommended to check the gap. It should be between 0.028 and 0.038.
- Tighten the spark plug to approximately 15 lb. ft.
- Reinstall the ignition coil and engine cover.
- 15 -20 ft-lb
Spark Plug Change Interval
- Copper: Every 30,000 to 50,000 miles
- Iridium: Every 90,000 miles