- Engine cranks but won't start
- Engine hesitates to start
- P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor
- Engine may start fine when cold, refuses to start when it warms up
- Check Engine Light On
- Engine stalls when it is warmed up
- Intermittent Starting Problem
- Difficulty Starting
Nissan Crankshaft Position Sensor
In this guide, you will learn about Nissan crankshaft position sensor also referred to as crank sensor or CKP. Sometimes it is confused with camshaft position sensor which can also fail and cause engine start problems.
When crankshaft position sensor fails your Nissan will hesitate to start or may not start at all. Check engine light will turn on. If you scan the ECU for fault codes you will get trouble codes such as P0335, P0340 or even P0725.
Nissan Crankshaft Position Sensor
This problem is common on Nissan Altimas but may affect multiple Nissan vehicles including Nissan Quest, Altima, Sentra, Maxima, 370z, Navara, Rouge, Murano, NV200, Micra, Sunny, Qashqai and Serena.
The most common symptoms of a failed crankshaft position sensor on a Nissan is that the car hesitates to start or the car stalls after it starts. In some cases, it may require that you crank the car for a long time to get it to start.
Below you will find instructions on how to replace crankshaft position sensor on a Nissan 3.5L V6 engine.
What you will need
Follow these instructions to remove and replace the crankshaft position sensor on a Nissan.
- Jack up your Nissan in order to access the bottom of the engine. You can use jack and jack stands or ramps which is easier. Drive you Nissan on ramps. Allow the engine to cool down for at least 15 minutes. Secure the vehicle by placing it in Park. Secure the rear wheels. Place jack stands to support the vehicle.
- Remove the plastic cover from under the engine. It is held in place with several plastic screws.
- Locate the crankshaft position sensor on your Nissan. The crankshaft position sensor is installed on the transmission housing right where the transmission attaches to the engine block.
- Press the small tab on the connector and unplug the electrical connector by pulling it away from the sensor.
- Remove the 10 mm bolt.
Remove the old crankshaft position sensor on your Nissan. Install the new crankshaft position sensor in reverse order.
Once you tighten the 10 mm bolt, reconnect the electrical connector.
Reinstall the engine splash shield and lower the vehicle. Read the codes and clear them using an OBD-II scanner.
- If the crankshaft position sensor fails to come out, try twisting the old sensor to get it loose. If that doesn't work spray penetrating oil between the sensor and the block. Try removing the sensor after waiting 15 min.
- Crankshaft position sensor and Camshaft position sensor are not the same and do not serve the same function. These two are often confused.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the crankshaft position sensor located on a Nissan?
Location of Nissan crankshaft position sensor.
How to check if Nissan crankshaft position sensor is bad?
One the most common ways to verify that the crankshaft position sensor on a Nissan is bad is to read the fault codes from the ECU. This is a very simple procedure and requires an OBD2 code reader.
- Plug in your scanner into the OBD2 port under the dashboard.
- Turn of ignition.
- Read codes from the ECU.
- Confirm that a code related to the crankshaft position sensor circuit is present.
Where to buy cheap Nissan crankshaft position sensor?
Nissan crankshaft position sensors vary between model years. To find cheap Nissan crankshaft position sensor check prices here and here. Filter results by year and model to find the right crankshaft position sensor for your Nissan.
Nissan Crankshaft Position Sensor Part Numbers
- 2.5L 4 Cylinder Engine
- Part Number: 235-91203
- Applicaitons: 2002-2006 Nissan Frontier, Altima, Sentra
- 3.0L Engine
- Part Number: CKP2085 PC165 714958 SS1013911B1 SS10139 J5T10271 5S1782 2373135U11 2373135U10 2373135U00 2132395 1800319
- Applications: Nissan Maxima, Infiniti I30
- 3.0 or 3.5 V6 Engine
- Part Number: 23731-31U11 PC89 2373131U10 23731-31U10 373131U11 S10113 SU4315
- Applicaitons: Nissan Maxima 1995-2001, Pathfinder 2001-2002, Infinti QX4 2000-2003, Infinti I30 1999-2001
- 3.5L V6 Engine
- Part Number: 12799167
- Applications: 2002-2008 Nissan Altima, Maxima, Quest, Infiniti FX35 I35 G35 350z
- 3.5L V6 Engine
- Part Number: 23731-AL60A 23731AL60C / 23731 AL60C PC499 23731 SU6482 23731-AL60C,1236545
- Nissan Altima (2006-2002)
- Nissan Armada (2012-2005)
- Nissan Frontier (2012-2005)
- Nissan Maxima (2008-2002)
- Infiniti FX35 (2008-2003)
- Infiniti G35 (2007-2003)
- Infiniti I35 (2004-2002)
- Infiniti M35 (2008-2006)
- Infiniti QX56 (2010-2004)
- Nissan 350Z (2006-2003)
- Nissan Murano (2007-2003)
- Nissan NV1500 (2012)
- Nissan NV2500 (2012)
- Nissan NV3500 (2012)
- Nissan Pathfinder (2012-2004)
- Nissan Quest (2009-2004)
- Nissan Titan (2012-2004)
- Nissan Xterra (2012-2005)
- 4.0L V6 Engine
- Part Number: 23731EA20C 23731-EA20A 23731-EA20C 23731AE20C 23731EA20A 23731EA20C 23731EA220 23731EA221 3322082Z30 SU7825 5S6314 PC715
- Applications: Nissan Xterra 2005-2014, Nissan pathfinder 2005-2012, Nissan NV3500 NV2500 NV1500 2012-2014, Nissan Frontier 2005-2014