In this article, you will learn about the most common problems that cause the Kia check engine light to come on and how to use an OBD-II Scan Tool
How to Open Hood on Kia
This article provides instructions on how to open the hood on any Kia vehicle, including models such as Rio, Sedona, Optima, Forte, Niro, Borrego, K9, Cerato, Sportage
- If the battery is dead, remove the metal key from the key fob. Use the metal key to unlock the driver's door. The keyhole on the driver's door may be covered. Look below the handle, and you will notice a small hole that can be used to remove the key cover.
- Pull the hood release lever located under the dashboard on the driver's side. The hood should pop up.
- Locate the hood latch release at the front of the hood. Push the latch to release the hood.
- Raise the hood slowly. If the hood has gas support, the hood will stay up on its own once you lift it halfway up. Otherwise, use the hood support rod to secure the hood in the up position.
Why won't my Kia hood open?
It is not uncommon for the hood release to not open the hood on Kia vehicles such as Optima, Forte, Rio, Sedona.
- If your Kia hood doesn't open, have a friend push down with the palm of their hand on the hood, right above the hood latch. Keep pressure down on the hood.
- As they keep the hood pushed down, you pull the hood release under the dashboard and keep the release pulled out. Don't release the hood handle.
- While you keep the hood release pulled, ask your friend at the front of the vehicle to take off the hands from the top of the hood and instead try to lift the hood. In most cases, this will allow you to open a Kia hood that won't open.
Here is a list of what can typically cause hood stuck problems.
- Have a friend press down on the hood while you pull the hood release. Keep the hood release pulled, then ask your friend to try to pop the hood open.
- Inspect the cable hasn't come off the hood release under the dashboard. If the hood release is broken, use pliers to pull on the cable.
- As a last resort, if the cable is broken, you will have to access the hood latches via the grill or wheel to release the hood.