In this article, you will learn about the most common problems that cause the Kia check engine light to come on and how to use an OBD-II Scan Tool
How to Order New Kia Key
In this article, you will find general instructions on how to order a new Kia key. These instructions may vary depending on your local Kia dealer requirements.
If you are looking to get a new Kia key, you have a couple of options:
- Dealer - The dealer will make a new key for any Kia model, including Rio, Soul, Forte, Sportage, Optima, etc.
- Locksmith - The locksmith will be able to cut you a new key for most older Kia models but not for the newer Kias that have a built-in chip in the key and requires programming. Locksmiths may be able to program a transponder key depending on the equipment that they have. If you do have a locksmith nearby, give them a call and tell them that you need a new key made.
How to order a new key from Kia dealers?
To order a new Kia key, you need to visit a local Kia dealer.
- Locate a Kia dealer in your area.
- Gather the following documents and bring them with you: Driver License, Proof of Ownership ( Vehicle Title or Registration), Payment.
- Visit the Kia parts department to place an order for a new Kia key.
- Once you order the new key, the Kia dealer will call you in two to three days and ask you to go back to pick up your key. Some Kia keys can be cut and picked up on the same day, but most smart keys need to be ordered.
Your new key typically will require programming to Start, Lock, or Unlock the car.
If you have the instructions for your model, you can do this yourself at home. Your Kia may charge extra for programming the new key. Check with the dealer before you place an order for a new Kia key.
Where can I find the Kia key code serial number?
How much is a new key fob for Kia?
A new key fob for a Kia ranges between $250 and $300. Prices vary slightly between Kia dealerships, so we recommend calling a couple of Kia dealers in your area to get the best price.
These prices are general guidelines if you live in the US.
- Kia metal key (wallet key) no chip - $29-$80
- New Kia Key & Fob - $250-$300
The exact cost depends on the model of your car and the type of key. If the key has a chip or not.
If you are looking for a spare key to use in an emergency, you can order a wallet key.
It is not a full keyfob, and it does not have Lock/Unlock buttons but is just a key that will allow you to open and start the car manually.
It costs around $30 for the metal key and about $25 for the dealer to cut the new key. This is a lot cheaper than spending $250-$300 on a new smart key.
What should I do if I lost my Kia key fob?
If you have lost the Kia key, don't panic. Here is what you should do.
Get together your driver's license, proof of ownership (title, registration), and VIN of your Kia.
Go to your Kia dealer and order a new key.
Based on the VIN, the Kia dealer should cut the new key without having the car there.
In some cases, they may have to order a new metal key, taking on average two to three days to arrive. Once you pick up the key from the dealer, you can use it to start the car.
You may need to go back to visit the Kia dealer to have the key fob programmed to Lock/Unlock the car. In many cases, the programming can be performed at home to find the correct programming procedure for your Kia model.
What battery is used on the Kia key fob remote?
Most Kia key fobs use two CR2032 button cell batteries. We would recommend a lithium battery instead of NiCad, as they last a lot longer. You can find a replacement CR2032 Lithium battery.
How to replace the Kia key fob battery?
If you need help replacing the battery on the Kia remote, check out this step by step guide on How to Replace Kia Key Fob Remote Battery.
Key Fob Damaged, Replacement Options?
If your Kia key fob is damaged, you should consider replacing the key fob case instead of ordering a new key. A new case costs a fraction of a new key and can be replaced at home. It is an easy DIY project that can save you money so that you don't have to buy a $250 new key—Head over online to find Kia Key Fob Remote Replacement Case.