In this guide, you will find step-by-step instructions on how to change engine torque arm, also known as torque rod on Porsche vehicles with V8 engine such as Cayenne.
What you will need
- Porsche Engine Torque Arm
- 3/8" Ratchet wrench
- Torx Socket Set (T20)
- 10mm, 12mm, 16mm sockets
- 12mm triple square bit
- Flathead screwdriver
- Park your Porsche and set the parking brake.
- Pull the hood release and open the hood.
- Remove the plastic trim around the engine bay. It is held in place with several plastic screws. Remove the T20 Torx screw by the windshield washer fluid cap.
- Use a 16mm socket to remove the bolt that secures the torque arm to the engine. You will also need a 12mm triple square bit to counter hold the bolt and prevent it from spinning.
- Remove the 16mm bolt that secures the torque arm to the frame.
- Install the new torque arm. Torque arm bolts to 45 ft/lbs.
- Install the plastic covers.
How do I know my Porsche needs a new torque arm?
Inspect the torque arm rubber for cracks. If cracks are present you need to replace the torque arm on your Porsche.
Another symptom that your Porsche torque arm needs to be replaced is that you notice a jolt or jerking when changing gears.
List of symptoms you may notice when your Porsche engine torque arm needs to be replaced.
- Torque arm rubber shows visible damage or cracks
- You feel a jolt or impact when changing gears
- Excessive engine movement
- Cabin vibrations at idle
- Engine hoses keep breaking