How to read clear Chevrolet fault codes
Last Updated on Tuesday Apr 24, 2018
If the Check Engine Light (CEL) or any other warning lights such as ABS, Airbag, TPMS are staying ON in your Chevrolet, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) gets stored in the respective control unit. In this guide, we will take a look at how you can diagnose and retrieve Chevrolet fault codes using an OBD-II scanner.
Knowing which scanner to use to read Chevrolet fault codes can be challenging. Level 1 OBD2 scanners can only be used to retrieve fault codes from your Chevrolet Engine Control Unit ECU. Those are faults that trigger the Check Engine warning light on the dashboard. To diagnose ABS and Airbag/SRS warning lights you will need a Level 2 OBD-2 scanner. The procedure for reading Chevrolet fault codes is similar regardless of which scanner you are using.
1. What you will need
- Level 1 Scanner
- Diagnoses Check Engine Light (CEL) and Service Engine Light
- Level 2 Scanner
- Diagnoses CEL, ABS, Airbag, Transmission Diagnostics
- Level 3 Scanner
- Full System Diagnostics
- Warning Light on instrument cluster or message on Driver Information Center (DIC)
3. How to read Chevrolet fault codes
Park your Chevrolet on a level surface and set the parking brakes.
Open the drivers door and locate the OBD-2 port.
Plug your scanner into the OBD2 port
Turn on the ignition by turning the key to position II. If your Chevrolet has START/STOP feature press the button without pressing the brake pedal.
Allow your scanner to turn on. Follow the promptings on your scanner to read fault codes.Back to top
4. Diagnose Chevrolet Check Engine Light
Watch this video to learn how to use a Level 1 OBD 2 scanner to read and clear Chevrolet Check Engine Light codes. Read this guide to learn more about troubleshooting Chevrolet check engine light.Back to top
5. Diagnose Chevrolet Anti-lock Brake System
Watch this video to learn how to use a Level 2 OBD 2 scanner to retrieve Chevrolet Anti-lock Brake System codes. Follow this guide to learn more about troubleshooting Chevrolet ABS light.Back to top
6. Diagnose Chevrolet Airbag Warning Light
Watch this video to learn how to use a Level 2 OBD-II scanner to troubleshoot Chevrolet Airbag Light on.Back to top
- If your scanner cannot communicate with the ECU ensure your scanner is compatible with your year, make and model. Also check that the 16 pin connector is fully inserted into the OBD-II port.
- Basic code readers typically can only diagnose check engine light. To diagnose ABS, Airbag and Transmission problems a more advanced scanner is needed.