This document provides instructions on how to read and clear Volvo fault codes or also known as Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC).
What you will need
Codes that trigger the check engine light, can be read with a generic OBD2 scanner.
Codes stored in all other modules such ABS, Airbag/SRS, Transmission, Central Electronic Module (CEM) require a Volvo scanner.
In this guide, we used iCarsoft for Volvo scanner but any Volvo scanner can be used. The procedure will be very similar.
- Locate the diagnostic port under the dashboard.
- Connect your scanner to the port. Turn on the ignition.
- Turn on the scanner select Diagnosis. Next select Volvo.
- Choose Automatically Search or choose Vehicle select and scroll to pick your model such as XC70, V70, S60, S40, V40, V50, XC60, XC90, S60, S70, S80, C30.
- From the main menu, select the control module you want to diagnose. For example Engine Control Module, SRS - Airbag Control Unit or Anti-lock Brake System.
- Next, choose to Read Codes and write down all the DTCs.
- Write down all the codes that have PRESNET or CURRENT status. Reach each problem to better understand the problem.
- Fix the problem that you found on the previous step. Then reconnect the scanner and go back to the main menu and select Clear DTC Faults or Erase DTC depening on the scanner.
- Turn off the ignition for 10 seconds and turn it back on. If the code can not be cleared, the problem that triggered the code has not been fixed yet.
You need to use a Volvo scanner that you purchase supports your Volvo model. Otherwise, you may not get any error codes even when a dashboard warning light stays on.
These instructions work on all 1996 and newer Volvo models including C70, V70, S60, S40, V40, V50, XC60, XC90, S60, S70, S80, C30.