In this guide, we take a look at how to read and clear Porsche fault codes (also referred to as Diagnostic Trouble Codes or DTC).
What you will need
- Locate the OBD-II port under the dashboard and plugin your OBD-II scanner.
- Turn on the ignition but do not start the engine. If your Porsche has a start/stop button, press it without pressing the brake pedal.
- Turn on your scanner and press enter to communicate with the vehicle.
- Select the Porsche model. Depending on the scanner you will also need to select the module that you want to diagnose. For example, you can choose transmission, ABS module, SRS module. Rember you will need a Porsche scanner to access these models.
- Scroll to Read Fault Codes. Write down all the codes. If codes are in Stored status go to the next step to clear them. If codes are in Present/Current status you need to fix the problem before you can clear those fault codes.
- Go back up the menu and instead of selecting Read Codes scroll down and select Clear Fault Codes. Press enter and you are done.
If you clear codes that are Present/Current without fixing the problem, the warning light and codes will come back on.
These instructions work on 1996 and newer Porsche vehicles such as 911, 918, Boxster, Carrera, Cayenne, Macan, Panamera. It is important to find a scanner that covers your Porsche model.