In this guide, you will find instructions on how to remove the airbag and steering wheel from a BMW vehicle.
What you will need
- Park your BMW and apply the parking brakes. Center BMW steering wheel. Ensure front wheels are pointed straight.
- Disconnect Battery. Access the BMW battery and disconnect the negative cable. Wait five minutes before you disconnect any airbag component.
- Remove Airbag. Remove BMW driver's airbag by inserting the flat screwdriver or Torx 27 in the access holes on the side of the airbag.
- Press the spring to release the airbag from the BMW airbag.
- Disconnected the wires going to the airbag. You will need to use a small flat head screwdriver to unlock the airbag harness.
- Once the airbag connectors are unlocked you will be able to remove the wires from the airbag. If you forget to unlock the connector you won't be able to remove the airbag wires.
- Once the airbag is released, handle it with care. Place the airbag in a safe location facing up. Watch a video on how to remove BMW airbag on BMW 5-Series E60.
- The following video shows you how to remove round BMW airbag which is found on BMW 3-Series E46.
- Remove Steering Wheel. Disconnect the airbag, steering button wires.
- Remove 15mm bolt in the center of the BMW steering wheel. This will allow you to remove the steering wheel.
- Always counter hold the steering wheel to avoid damaging the steering column locking mechanism.
- Watch video on how to remove BMW steering wheel.
- Install the new steering wheel in reverse order. Tighten the steering wheel center bolt to 40Nm (30 ft-lb). Verify torque requirement by calling your BMW dealer.
- Install the driver airbag. Connect the wire harness first then secure the airbag in the steering wheel.
- Tighten the bolt in the center of the steering wheel to OEM specifications. Typical: 40Nm.
- If your BMW uses bolts to hold the airbag in place, torque the bolts to 9 Nm.
- Connect the negative terminal. Start the BMW and ensure the airbag light is off.
- If the light is still on, use a BMW scanner to read and clear the codes.
The reason why you may want to remove BMW airbag and steering wheel are endless. For example:
- Blown BMW Driver Airbag
- Worn BMW Steering Wheel
- Fix scrapping /rubbing noise from BMW steering wheel
- Replace BMW clock spring to fix airbag light
- Replace BMW steering column bearing
- Upgrade BMW steering wheel to M Sport steering wheel
Before removing the airbag, make sure to have the correct airbag for your BMW. BMW makes single-stage and dual-stage airbags and the two are not interchangeable.