In this guide, we will show you how to remove the airbox and replace the air filter on a 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander. This repair is simple and straightforward.
Follow along with our step-by-step instructions and you can save time and money by doing it yourself. You can also watch the video for a visual in-depth tutorial that shows you everything you need to know.
What you will need
Follow these steps to change the engine air filter on the Mitsubishi outlander:
- Start by opening the hood. Look for the airbox on the driver's side of the vehicle.
- Remove the two plastic retainers holding down the air inlet to the radiator support. Pry them up with a flathead screwdriver or trim tool and pull them out.
- Push up on the air inlet until it pops off the airbox.
- Loosen and remove the 10mm bolt on the right side that is holding the bottom of the airbox down.
- Loosen the hose clamp around the air filter box neck near the mass airflow sensor. Use a 10mm socket and ratchet or a flathead screwdriver.
- Remove the plastic fastener from the side of the airbox that is holding the mass airflow wiring. Simply squeeze the part that is pushed through the airbox hole and push it back out of the hole it is in.
- Remove the mass airflow sensor by pushing down on the plastic tab on the back of it and pulling it off the sensor. If needed use a small flathead screwdriver to carefully pry the connector off by lifting the front of the plastic tab over the part of the protruding part of the sensor that keeps the tab locked in place. Move the wiring and connector out of the way.
- Pull the vacuum hose off on the left rear of the airbox by hand.
- Pull the airbox straight up, it has a plastic peg on the right rear that pops into a rubber grommet on the body of the vehicle that it will pop out of. Pull the airbox out of the hose that is connected to the elbow with the mass airflow sensor in it.
- Here you can remove the air filter from the box by unlocking the metal tabs and pulling the side with the mass airflow sensor up and out. The two pieces will separate, be sure to align the two tabs on the bottom into their holes when putting it back together.
- Reverse the procedure to reinstall the airbox, you are all done!
How often should I change the engine air filter on a Mitsubishi Outlander?
We recommend changing the engine air filter every 20,000 miles or every other tire rotation. If you don't know when the last time it was changed is, it is probably a good idea to go ahead and do it yourself. A visual check might tell you if it has been a while, over time dirt and debris will build up on the filter. Always write down your maintenance somewhere you can keep track of it such as in your owners manual.
Do I need to take the airbox off to change the filter?
This specific model is quite difficult to open the airbox on so that the filter can be changed. It is best just to take the time to take the airbox out. This will also ensure the air filter sits in a good position and the airbox remains sealed properly when it is put back together. However, some of Mitsubishi's different models are made so that the filter can be changed easier.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021