In this guide, we will show you how to remove and replace the steering wheel on a 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander. You may need to replace the steering wheel or remove it to replace other things such as the steering angle sensor or clockspring. Watch the guided video and follow along with our step by step guide and you too will be able to do the work yourself!
What you will need
- Sharpie or paint pen
- First, disconnect the battery and remove the airbag, follow this guide here.
- Use a 17mm socket and ratchet to remove the nut in the center of the steering wheel attached to the steering column. It is ideal to have someone hold the steering wheel while breaking the nut loose so the excess force doesn't damage the steering locking mechanism.
- Remove the nut completely, and before taking off the steering wheel, mark where the wheel is attached to the spline at 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock. This is a very important step and having these markings in place ensures proper alignment of the steering wheel on the steering column.
- Remove the steering wheel, if it is stubborn, grab opposite sides of the wheel and rock it back and forth while pulling.
- Carefully unplug the electrical connector from the back of the steering wheel, be sure not to move the steering angle sensor while doing this. It is important it stays at the same position or it will trigger fault codes and can cause various problems.
- If replacing with a new steering wheel, transfer the marks to the spline of the steering wheel. Plug the electrical connector in, once again being careful not to move the steering angle sensor. Line up the marking of the steering column's splined shaft to the steering wheel and press the steering wheel back into place on the shaft.
- Double-check that the steering wheel is lined up on the shaft correctly by its marks once it is fully on. If everything looks good, replace the nut. Torque to spec and preferably have someone hold the steering wheel from moving.
- Reverse the rest of the procedure, don't forget to reconnect the battery, and start the vehicle. Make sure there are no diagnostic trouble codes triggering any malfunction indicator lights on the dash. You are done!
My steering wheel buttons and horn are not working, what is wrong?
If multiple things are not working on the steering wheel, it is a good chance the clock spring that powers everything in the wheel is not working. It could also be the wiring leading to the clock spring, start with troubleshooting and diagnosing the clockspring. A guide on removing and replacing the clock spring can be seen here.
Do I need a steering wheel puller to get my steering wheel off?
In most cases, the steering wheel will come off as described above. However, if the steering wheel is giving you trouble you may rent or purchase a steering wheel puller from a parts store.
Where can I purchase a new steering wheel?
A part that is OE specific like this will usually need to be purchased from the dealer. Aftermarket steering wheels also exist but they are not usually suited for all of the manufactured features such as the airbag, steering angle sensor, control switches, etc.
- Steering wheel nut 30-35 ft-lbs
All Mitsubishi models including Galant, Lancer Evo, Outlander, Eclipse, Mirage, and more. All year models including current-gen: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021.