In this guide, you will find instructions on how to add air to the ACURA tire.
In this tutorial, you will find instructions on how to change the car battery on an ACURA.
What you will need
To change the battery on most 1998-2019 ACURA vehicles you will need a few basic tools such as a 10mm wrench, terminal cleaning brush, battery protector and of course a new ACURA battery.
- Battery You will need either a Group 51R Battery or a Group 24F Battery (In most cases)
- Mechanic Toolset Metric
- Battery Brush
- Battery Terminal Protect Spray
A new Acura battery is required to complete this task.
Turn off the ignition. Remove the key from the ignition before you get started replacing the car battery on your ACURA. Acuras can be sensitive to voltage drops and by keeping the key out of the ignition you can avoid electrical problems. If your ACURA battery is completely dead, you will not be able to get into the car because your key fob remote will not unlock the car. Remove the metal key from the key fob. Open the driver's door with the metal key that you remove from the keyfob.
Open Hood. Pull the hood release under the dashboard on the driver's side. Next, release the hood latch at the front of your Acura.
Locate Battery. In most Acuras, the battery is located in the engine bay. Once you open the hood you will see the battery on the driver's side of the engine. On newer Acura vehicles you will need to remove the plastic cover to see the battery.
For example, on this Acura TL, the battery is located under this cover. Once you remove this cover you will see the battery underneath.
Here is the location of the battery on a 2016 Acura TLX.
Disconnect the Negative Battery Cable. Always disconnect the negative battery terminal first. Loosen the 10mm nut but do not remove it. Once the nut is loose pull the cable up and away from the negative battery post.
- Disconnect Positive Battery Cable.
Remove the battery hold-down bracket. Here is a close up picture of the battery bracket on an ACURA. Some Acuras use a side bracket instead of the top bracket.
- If your battery has a side bracket, you will need a 13mm socket and an 8" ratchet extension to remove the side bracket.
- Clean Terminals. It is important to clean the battery terminals of your ACURA using a terminal brush. This will ensure that you don't have any corrosion issues in the future.
- Connect Positive Cable. Reconnect battery terminals. First, you always connect the positive battery cable to the positive battery terminal.
- Connect Negative CableLastly, connect the negative terminals. Use fiber washers to prevent corrosion of the battery terminals.
Protect Battery Terminals. Spray battery terminal protector on the battery posts and clamps. A battery protector helps seal the metal surfaces. It helps reduce corrosion and improves current flow.
Start the engine. With the transmission in Park and brakes pressed turn the steering wheel to the left and to the right (twice) to reset the steering angle sensor and traction control light.
These steps will help yo remove and install a new battery on Acura models such as CSX, ILX, MDX, RDX, RL, RLX, TL, TLX, TSX, ZDX.
Symptoms that indicate a bad Acura battery
Here is a list of the most common symptoms that your Acura battery may need to be replaced.
- ACURA does not start
- The battery is dead and does not hold a charge
- Acura engine cranks very slow in the morning
- ACURA is completely dead, has no power or lights
What battery size fits my Acura?
Below is a table that shows the required battery size for various Acura cars and SUVs. It is important to verify the battery size by either looking it up on your owner's manual or calling your Acura dealer. When buying Acura battery online, check fitment before purchase.
|Model||Size||Min. Cold Cranking|
|CSX||Group 51R Battery||410A|
|ILX||Group 51R Battery||410A|
|MDX||Group 24F Battery||550A|
|RDX||Group 24F Battery||550A|
|RL||Group 24 Battery||585A|
|RLX||Group 24F Battery||550A|
|TL||Group 24F Battery||550A|
|TLX||Group H6 AGM Battery||440A|
|TSX||Group 51R Battery||430A|
|ZDX||Group 24F Battery||550A|