In this guide, you will find instructions on checking the power steering fluid on your Audi vehicles.
How to Replace Audi Battery
In this guide, you will find instructions on how to change the battery on an Audi.
To change the battery on an Audi, you will need a few basic tools such as a 10mm wrench, terminal cleaning brush, battery protector, and of course, a new Audi battery.
What you will need
- Audi Car Battery
- The battery type is listed in your owner's manual. It is also printed on the old battery.
- Common batteries used on Audi are the H8, H6, and H5.
- Battery Protector
- Mechanic Toolset Metric
- Battery Terminal Brush
- 5mm Allen Hex Bit
- or 7/32" Allen Bit
Park, your Audi on level ground, set the parking brakes, and remove the key from the ignition.
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard on the driver's side. Next, go to the front of the car and release the hood latch.
Locate the battery at the back of the engine bay, above the firewall. If you have a newer Audi, you need to remove the plastic cover held in place with plastic retainers.
- Use a 10mm wrench to loosen the nut on the negative post. Disconnect the negative battery terminal from the battery.
- Next, use the 10mm wrench again to disconnect the positive battery terminal.
- Remove battery hold-down bracket. In most cases, this will be a 5mm Allen bolt. In a few cases, it may also be a T40 Torx bolt.
- Lift the old battery and remove it. Carefully lower the new battery in the battery tray. Have another person help you with this step.
- Reinstall the battery bracket.
- Use a battery terminal brush to clean the battery terminals.
Connect the positive battery cable and tighten the 10mm nut. Ensure the terminal is secure and doesn't move, or it can't be twisted.
- The last step is to connect the negative cable. Tighten the 10mm nut on the negative clamp. When possible, use battery fiber washers to prevent corrosion of the battery terminals.
- Spray battery terminal protector on the battery posts and clamps. A battery protector helps seal the metal surfaces. It helps reduce corrosion and improves current flow.
- Replace the battery cover.
- Start the engine.
Symptoms of a bad battery
- Audi does not start
- Battery dead or does not hold a charge.
- Engine cranks very slow.
- Audi has no power or lights
Published on: Friday, March 9, 2018.