In this guide, you will find instructions on how to replace the cruise control switch on a BMW.
This guide applies to models that have the cruise control switch on the steering column, not on the steering wheel.
What you will need
- Disconnect the negative terminal from the battery located in the trunk.
- Remove the airbag from the driver's steering wheel. Detailed instructions on how to replace the BMW airbag and steering wheel can be found here.
- Remove the steering wheel.
- Pull up the plastic trim cover away to access the cruise control switch.
- Remove two Torx screws that hold the cruise control stalk arm on the steering column switch unit.
- Reinstall in reverse order. If the steering wheel isn't reinstalled in the same location, you may need to carry out steering angle sensor calibration.
If your cruise control has stopped working the problem could be the switch itself. Before you replace any parts, diagnose BMW cruise control problems by reading the fault codes first.