This guide provides step by step instructions on how to remove and replace the airbag on the 9th generation Honda Civic. Pictures and video recorded on a 2015 Honda Civic.
- Open the hood and disconnect the negative battery terminal.
- Remove two torx T-25 bolts on each side of the steering wheel.
- Pry out the plastic cover at the bottom of the steering wheel. This will expose the airbag connector. Disconnect the yellow airbag connector and horn wire.
- Remove the airbag from Honda steering wheel by pulling it out. Keep your body 2ft away from the airbag. Handle your Honda airbag with care.
- Install new airbag in reverse order.
Risk of injury. The airbag may ignite accidentally if not handled with care.
Connect a new airbag before turning on the ignition.
- These instructions will help you replace a deployed Honda airbag. Your Honda airbag (SRS) light will remain on even after replacing the airbag. You will need to use an OBD2 Airbag Scanner to reset the airbag light.
- Wait at least 15 minutes before you work on the airbag system.
- Handle airbags with care.
Replaced my Honda airbag, but airbag light won't reset
To clear the airbag light a Honda Airbag Scanner is needed.
Generic OBD-II scanner in most cases is not able to read airbag codes and clear them.
Airbag fault codes can not be cleared if there is crash data stored in the module.