In this guide, you will learn how to replace the hood lift support on BMW 3-Series E90 E91 E92 E93. If the hood on your 3-series will no longer stay up, you need to change those gas hood supports.
What you will need
- Open the hood of your BMW 3-Series. The hood latch release is located under the dashboard on driver's side.
- Locate hood struts. Here is the location of the hood struts that need to be replaced.
- Secure the hood open. Have a friend hold up the hood of your BMW. If the hood falls while you are changing the hood lifts on your BMW 3-Series, you can get seriously injured.
- Locate the clip that locks BMW hood support locks to the joint.
- Remove C clip. Use a flat screwdriver to pry out the clip that locks the hood strut in place.
- Disconnect the other end. Follow the same procedure for the other end.
- Install the new hood support in reverse order.
- Replace other side
- You are done replacing one of the gas hood supports on your BMW 3-series. Repeat this procedure for the other side.
Over time hood struts weaken and no longer will support your BMW hood.
This guide applies to 3-Series from 2004-2013. Changing the hood lifts is easy and takes less than half an hour. Typically a new set of hood lift supports can be purchased online for under $50.