In this guide, you will find step-by-step instructions on how to replace a Hyundai driver's airbag. These instructions are for Hyundai Elantra but may apply to other models as well.
Removing the airbag from Hyundai Elantra is very easy but requires a lot of patience.
There are three locking pins that you will need to press to release the airbag but since you can't really see them you will need to try for several minutes. Eventually, you will be able to release the airbag from the steering wheel.
What you will need
- 10mm Open End Wrench
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal. This is a must or you will trigger the airbag light on your dashboard.
- Wait 15 minutes.
- To remove the airbag from the steering wheel on Hyundai Elantra you will need to press three locking pins that hold the airbag in place. Use a Phillips screwdriver or a Torx screwdriver may work better.
- Pull out the locking clips from the airbag connector. Then disconnect both wires from the airbag. You also need to disconnect the horn wire.
- Carefully handle the airbag. Avoid dropping the airbag.
- Reinstall the new airbag in reverse order.
Frequently Asked Questions
How difficult is it to replace the airbag on a Hyundai Elantra?
- Replacing the airbag is easy but requires patience. To avoid any problems always disconnect the negative battery terminal before you start working on airbag components. All you need to complete this job is a couple of screwdrivers.
How much does it cost to replace the driver's airbag on a Hyundai Elantra?
- At the Hyundai dealer expect to pay between $800 -$2000 to replace the driver's airbag. That will include the airbag itself and the labor.
Can I replace the airbag with a used unit?
- In theory, you can install a used airbag on your Hyundai. Hyundai doesn't require any programming of coding of the airbag components like some luxury auto manufacturers do. The only concern with a used airbag is that you don't know how it is going to perform in case of an accident.