If your BMW is showing a Chassis Drive Moderately warning message on the dashboard, don't panic.
Reset BMW Service Warning Light| CBS | FSM
In this guide, we take a look at how to reset Condition Based Servicing (CBS) service warning indicator using two methods. This is also known as BMW 100,000 miles service interval.
Only carry this procedure after completing the recommended maintenance.
BMW Condition Based Servicing (CBS) system monitors the following:
- Front Brake Pads
- Rear Brake Pads
- Oil Service Reminder
- Microfilter (Cabin Air Filter)
- Spark Plugs
- Brake Fluid Change
BMW CBS can be reset via the instrument cluster or using an OBD2 scanner capable of resetting CBS. On some BMW models, Factory Scheduled Maintenace (FSM) is used instead of CBS.
Reset BMW Services via Instrument Cluster
Below you will find instructions on reset BMW CBS services using the ODO reset button on the instrument cluster.
- Turn on the ignition by turning the key to Position II or by pressing the start button. Do not press the brakes or start the engine. All dash lights will turn on.
- Press and hold the RESET button on the instrument cluster for about 10 seconds.
- The screen will show a triangle, then one of the service items such as the microfilter symbol or oil.
- Press the RESET button several times until you see the item you want to reset.
- Once the item you need to reset is shown on the cluster, press and hold the RESET button.
- After about 5 seconds, you should see Reset? or OK?
- As soon as you see one of the messages above, release the reset button, press, and hold it for another 5 seconds.
- After a few seconds, the selected service will be reset.
Reset BMW CBS with a Scanner
This video shows how to reset the BMW Conditional Based Service using the Autel MaxiDAS Diagnostic Scanner.
- Plugin your scanner into the OBD-II.
- Turn on the ignition but don't start the engine.
- Your scanner will turn on.
- Select a European car from the menu.
- Select BMW.
- Read Auto Vehicle Data.
- Select Service Functions
- Select Maintenace
- Select CBS to reset twice
- Please select any of the following CBS options to reset it.
- Engine Oil
- Spark Plugs
- Front Brake
- Rear Brake
- Brake Fluid
- Vehicle Check
- Select the reset button on the right side of the menu to carry that particular reset.
- Press Yes to confirm.
Reset BMW CBS using Foxwell NT510
This video shows how to reset BMW CBS intervals using Foxwell NT510 Scanner.
- Plug the scanner into the OBD II port and turn on the ignition.
- Select BMW
- Scan VIN
- Select Service
- Select CBS Reset (twice)
- Select the service you need to reset
- Press Enter
- Press F3 to carry out the reset
- Do you wish to perform the reset? Press YES
Reset BMW CBS using Carly for BMW
This video shows how to use Carly for BMW.
Note: Carly requires paid a subscription in addition to the Carly for BMW adapter.
- Plug Carly Adapter into the OBD2 port.
- Pair Carly Adapter with your phone.
- Download and install Carly for the BMW app.
- Open Carly App.
- Select your BMW model.
- Select Connect then Bluetooth.
- Go back to Carly Dashboard.
- Select Service
- Scan for available functions
- Purchase Advanced features.
- Once you completed the purchase, return to the app, and carry the procedure by repeating the steps above.
Systems monitored CBS or FSM.
Below is a list of items that you can reset via the CBS menu.
Note that the interval is based on an E60 5-Series BMW and may be different for other models.
Spark Plug Interval
Engine Oil Interval -
Front Brake Pad
Brake fluid reset
Rear Brake Pad
How did you reset CBS service on your BMW? Use the comment section below to provide feedback or post a comment.
BMW Service Lights Explained
It reminds the driver to service their car when these items wear. You can check the CBS messages on your BMW via the iDrive display.
On your iDrive select Service Requirements then Staus. It will show the state of each component, as shown in this picture.
If your BMW needs to be serviced, you will get a message on the iDrive or instrument cluster before each component is due for servicing.
- Ensure the clock is displayed on the instrument cluster before you start with the BMW CBS Reset procedure.
- The red symbol means the system has not been reset yet. When you successfully reset a BMW service, the light turns to orange.
- You may need to repeat the procedure a couple of times to reset the BMW CBS reminder.