On Toyota vehicles equipped with OBD-I, you can read the fault codes without the help of a diagnostic tool.
In this guide, you will find step-by-step instructions on how to reset the Toyota check engine light and maintenance reminder. Instructions for resetting Toyota check engine light work on all 1996 models including Toyota Corolla, Camry, 4Runner, Rav4, Matrix etc.
How to Reset Toyota Check Engine Light
This procedure should only be performed after a repair and once all the codes have been addressed.
What you need
Follow these steps to reset Toyota check engine light.
- Park vehicle and set the emergency brakes.
- Locate the OBD-II port under the dashboard and plug in your scanner.
- Turn on the ignition but don’t start the engine. On vehicles with Start/Stop button, press it twice without touching the brake pedal.
- Allow the scanner to turn on and connect to the car.
- Select OBD-II then READ CODES. Make sure there are no current fault codes. If any codes show up on the scanner they must have PAST or STORED status not CURRENT.
- Go back and select CLEAR FAULT CODES. Press enter.
- Turn off the ignition, wait 10 seconds and restart the engine. Check engine light should be off.
Check Engine means you have a problem that should be diagnosed and corrected as soon as possible. Do not clear the fault codes without fixing the underlying problem. Doing so could lead to more damage and a higher repair cost.
How to Reset Toyota Maintenance Reminder
Maintenance Required means you need an oil and oil filter change, air filter change, fluid check, and other checks and changes depending on mileage. These are listed in your owner’s manual.
First, perform the recommended maintenance.
Here’s how to turn off the Maintenance Required light.
- Turn the key so the car is on.
- Make sure the odometer is displayed, not trip A or trip B.
- Turn the key so the car is off.
- Push and hold the reset button on the trip meter.
- Turn the key back on again, but not to the start position.
- The odometer will display dashes that disappear one at a time, and then a set of zeros will appear.
- Keep holding the button down until the zeros go away and the odometer reading comes back.
The appropriate maintenance should be done to ensure a long engine life.
- Why does Toyota check engine light comes back on after I clear the codes?
If Toyota check engine light doesn’t turn off, it is because there is a problem that has not been fixed yet. Read the codes again and fix any present codes.
Can I just clear the codes without fixing the problem?
Clearing Toyota fault codes without fixing the problem is not recommended. The check engine light will come back on immediately or within a few depending on the issue.
Will the Toyota check engine light reset itself?
If the underlying problem is fixed, the check engine light will reset itself. Check engine light won't reset as soon as the problem is fixed. It may take up to four days of regular operation for Toyota check engine light to reset on its own.
Can I reset the Toyota check engine light by disconnecting the battery?
It is possible to reset the Toyota check engine light by disconnecting the battery but this method is not recommended. It does not fix the problem and the light will turn back on.