In this guide, you will find step-by-step instructions on how to read and clear Lexus airbag fault codes. This procedure works on 1996 and newer Lexus vehicles including Lexus ES330, IS250, RX300, RX350, etc.
What you will need
Generic code readers can not access the airbag module and will show no fault codes related to the airbag system. The scanner must be able to diagnose Toyota airbag system (SRS).
- Connect your OBD-II diagnostic tool to the diagnostic port located under the dashboard, driver's side.
- Turn on ignition to position II. All dash lights should be on. Do not start the engine.
- Allow the OBDII tool to communicate with your car’s internal computer (protocol sorting).
- Depending on the scanner you may have to manually select make and model. Some scanner can auto-detect Lexus model from VIN.
- Select Control Modules > Airbag
- Select Read Fault Codes. Write down all the codes. Fix any codes that are showing CURRENT or PRESENT status.
- Go back to the airbag menu and select clear fault codes.
This procedure can be used to turn off Lexus airbag light. Fault codes should only be cleared after the system has been repaired. Do not clear Lexus airbag codes, if the fault codes status is CURRENT or PRESENT. See further instructions below.
Clearing Lexus airbag codes without addressing the issue is not recommended. When Lexus airbag light is reset without fixing the underlying problem, the airbag light will come back on when you restart the car.