In this guide, you will find step by step instructions on how to reset the Porsche check engine light using an OBD-II scanner. These instructions work on all 1996 and newer Porsche, including 911, Boxter Cayman, Carrera, Cayenne, Panamera.
What you will need
Follow these steps to reset the check engine light on any Porsche vehicle.
- Locate the diagnostic port. In most cases, the diagnostic port will be located under the dashboard on the driver's side. On some Porsche models such as the Boxter and Cayman, the port will be located on the passenger side.
- Plug the scanner into the OBD-II port.
- Turn on the ignition, then press enter on the scanner. Wait a minute for the scanner to communicate with the vehicle. Do not start the engine.
- Select your Porsche model from the main menu. Next, scroll down to Erase Fault Codes.
- Press Enter to erase the codes and clear your Porsche check engine light.
Porsche check engine lights and fault codes should only be cleared after fixing the underlying problem.
Erasing Porsche check engine light without completing the needed repair does not fix the problem and will erase fault codes that would be helpful for diagnostics.
Porsche check engine lights will come back on if you clear the codes without fixing the problem.