Sprinter Oil Change DIY
Oil change is basic maintenance you need to do to your Mercedes or Dodge Sprinter van. Our recommendation is to change Sprinter oil every 10,000 miles (16,000 km) even though on 2009 and newer Sprinter A Service is recommended every 20,000. You can get your oil changed by the mechanic but to ensure that oil of the correct specification is used its best if you do it yourself.
What you will need
- Before doing anything else make sure that your Sprinter is parked somewhere stable, the parking brake is on and the engine is cool to avoid getting burned.
- After that put on your gloves and locate the oil pan on the underside of the van. Look for the 13 mm bolt on the side of the oil pan and place your draining container below it. Use your 13mm socket ratchet to unscrew the bolt. Remove the oil drain plug.Making sure you don’t drop the bolt and/or the washer in the container as you pull it out. Allow the oil to drain completely. Inspect the washer and replace it.
- To access the filter compartment easily its best if you remove the air intake first for which you won’t need any tools.
- Now unscrew the filter cap using your oil filter pliers or filter wrench.
Pull out the filter housing along with filter by hand.
Place a spare rag under the filter housing as you pull it out to avoid any mess that the dripping oil might cause.
- Remove the filter and the two O rings on the housing (1 on the base near the cap 1 one on the tip). This is a good time to inspect your filter for anything unusual (metal shavings etc.). Place the new filter inside the housing and press fit the new O rings onto the housing by hand.
Watch a video on how to perform this step.Video file
- Now screw the filter housing back in place, screw it a few times by hand and then tighten it using the oil filter wrench until the filter is flush with the housing. Put the air intake back in place if you removed it.
- By now the oil will have drained, screw the oil pan bolt back into place & remove the draining container below.
Use a torque wrench to tighten Sprinter drain plug bolt to 30 Nm (22 ft-lb).
- Add engine oil. Sprinters use MB 229.52 spec oil but check your owner’s manual just to be sure. You’ll need 12.5 quarts (≈ 12.5 Liters) of this oil. Unscrew the oil filling spout cap.Place your funnel inside & pour the oil in.Once filled remove the funnel and screw the spout cap back on.
- Now check the oil level using the dip stick.It might look low as the oil is low, in that case, wait a few minutes and check the level again.
- Dispose of the old oil and the gloves someplace safe. You can dispose of the used oil at gas stations or at your local auto parts store.