How to change Tesla Model 3 rear shocks (struts).
In this guide, you will find step-by-step instructions on how to change the rear shock (sometimes referred to as strut) on a Tesla Model 3.
What you will need
How to replace Tesla model 3 rear shocks.
- Park Tesla on level ground.
- Loosen the lug nuts for the wheel that you are working on.
- Jack up the vehicle.Make sure to use the jack pads to protect the battery.
- A secure vehicle with jack stands.
- Remove the 10mm bolt and the plastic cover under the lower control arm.
- Remove two 15mm bolts that secure the shock to the frame.
- Place a floor lift under the rear control arm.
- Remove the bolt that secures the rear shock to the lower control arm.
- Remove the bolt where the lower control arm connects to the wheel knuckle.
- Slowly lower the control arm.
- Install the new shock in reverse order.
- Install the wheel and torque it to 130 ft/lbs.
Replacing the rear shock on a Tesla Model 3 is very easy and takes about 30 min to 1 hr per shock. Sometimes the rear Tesla shock may be also called a strut, but the proper name is shock.
The pictures in this guide are from a 2018 Tesla Model 3 AWD.