Locating the Toyota paint code is a very simple task.
Toyota Wheel Bearing | ABS Speed Sensor Replacement
In this guide, you will find instructions on how to replace the rear wheel bearing on Toyota vehicles.
These instructions will help you replace Toyota rear wheel bearing assembly and ABS sensor on models such as Toyota Yaris, Prius, Altis, Celica, Matrix, Estima, RAV4, Corolla, Scion xB, Scion TC, and Pontiac Vibe.
This guide applies to front-wheel-drive Toyota vehicles. It does not apply to all-wheel-drive models. It only applies to vehicles that have the ABS wheel speed sensor integrated into the wheel bearing.
- Noise - an early sign that your Toyota wheel bearing is starting to fail and will need to be replaced soon.
- ABS light - the ABS, TRAC, and VSC light may come on permanently or in some cases intermittently.
What you will need
- Toyota Rear Wheel Bearing with ABS Sensor
- Floor jack
- Jack stands
- Ratchet wrench
- Breaker bar
- Metric Sockets
- Penetrating rust fluid
- Wheel chocks
- Thread locker
- Torque wrench
- Park the vehicle. Place the transmission in Park. If you have manual transmission place it in first gear.
- Place wheel chocks on the back and front to lock the front wheels. You need to prevent the vehicle from rolling.
- Loosen the lug nuts but do not remove them yet. Raise the vehicle and secure it with jack stands.
- Remove the lug nuts and take off the rear wheel.
- Spray penetrating oil on all the bolts.
- Disconnect the ABS sensor connector.
- Remove the brake caliper guide bolts.
- Disconnect the parking brake cable.
- Use a breaker bar to remove the brake caliper bracket bolts.
- Remove the rotor from the wheel hub. If you plan on reusing the rotor, use a rubber hammer to remove it.
- Remove all four bolts that secure the wheel hub. These bolts may be difficult to remove especially if they are rusted.Use a breaker bar and spray penetrating oil. Allow the penetrating oil to work for at least 15 min.
- Remove wheel bearing together with the ABS sensor.
- Use sandpaper or wire brush to remove any present rust from the wheel hub mounting area.
- Install the wheel hub bearing and torque bolts to specification. See the typical values below.
- Install the rotor on the wheel hub.
- Install the brake caliper bracket and torque the bolts to specification. Rember to use thread locker on the bolts.
- Install the brake pads, brake caliper and torque the brake caliper bolts to specification.
- Install the wheel and torque the lug nuts after you lower the vehicle.
Typical torque specifications. These values may vary between models.
- Wheel hub bolts - 70 ft. lbs.
- Lug nuts - 80 ft.lbs.
- Caliper guide bolts - 25 ft.lbs.
- Caliper bracket bolts - 75 ft. lbs.
Verify the correct torque specification by calling your dealer.
Do I need a Toyota wheel bearing special tool?
You do not need any special tool for this design.
You need bearing removal tool on Toyota 4Runner, Tundra, Tacoma if you need to replace the rear wheel bearing.
My wheel bearing is fine, but my ABS light is on due to a bad sensor, what should I do?
Before you replace a Toyota ABS sensor/wheel hub assembly, check the connector at the wheel ABS sensor. The connector can corrode and trigger the ABS light.