In this guide, you will find instructions on how to manually unlock a Toyota with a dead battery.
This procedure shows you how to open a Toyota door when the key fob does not work to unlock the doors which can happen if the car or key fob battery is dead.
- Push the key release on the back of the key fob remove and remove the emergency key. Your Toyota key may look different, but all Toyota keys have an emergency key inside the key fob.
- On the driver’s door handle, you should see a key hole. Newer Toyota models may have a cover hiding the door keyhole.
- Use the emergency key to remove the cover to access the keyhole in the door handle.
- Put your key into the keyhole and turn like you would a door.
- Pull the door handle and open the door.
- Press the START button with the keyfob to start the engine. Whether your car battery is dead or the key fob is dead, you will need to start the car by pressing the START button with the keyfob.
I can't unlock my Toyota door
Your Toyota key or the emergency key inside the keyfob should unlock the door. If you still can't unlock your Toyota try the following:
- Unlock the trunk. Most models have a keyhole for the trunk as well. It usually is located near the license plate light. If you can unlock the trunk, you may be able to fold the rear seats and get inside the vehicle.
- Spray penetrating oil in the key tumbler. The door key is rarely used so it may be stuck or get rusted. Spray penetrating oil in the keyhole and wait at least five minutes. Then try to unlock the door manually with the emergency key.
- Call a Locksmith - If you have tried all these tips but nothing works call a locksmith. They can use a car door unlock kit with pump to unlock a Toyota door without a key.
This is how you can unlock a Toyota door manually when the car battery dies or the key fob remote doesn't work. This procedure works on all Toyota vehicles and can be used to unlock a Toyota Corolla, Camry, Highlander, Rav4, etc.
This procedure can be helpful if you need to unlock the car and jumpstart a dead Toyota battery.