Volkswagen VW Key Fob Battery Replacement
In this guide, you will find instructions on how to change the battery on Volkswagen key fob remote.
Select your Volkswagen key fob below for the correct instructions and battery size.
In this section you will find instructions on how to replace the battery on the older Volkswagen key used on models such as Jetta and Golf.
Battery Size: CR1632 Button Cell
- Use a small flat head screwdriver to separate the plastic part of the key.
- Once the top cover comes off you will see the battery inside.
- Remove the battery from the case.
- Install the new battery ensuring the positive side of the battery remains on the bottom.
- Align the plastic case and press them until you hear the shell snap back together.
Below you will find a how-to video and instructions on how to replace the battery on one of the most popular Volkswagen key fobs. This remote was used on many VW models including VW Jetta, Golf, GTI, EOS, CC, Bettle from 1999 to 2011. The buttons on this remote wear out over time. It is possible to change the shell of this key, see link below. The same key was also used on many Audi vehicles.
Battery Size: CR2032 Button Cell Battery
Replacement Shell: VW Flip Key Replacement Shell
- Press the round button and flip the metal key.
- Use a flat head screwdriver to split the key in half.
- Put the half with the metal key to the side.
- Use a small screwdriver to open the bottom half of the key.
- Remove the cover from the case. The battery is installed don the back cover.
- Remove the battery from the case. Note the orientation of the positive side of the battery.
- Install the new battery. Make sure the positive (+) symbol is facing the back cover.
- Press the back cover unto the shell.
- Press the two parts of the key together.
Below you will find instructions on how to replace the battery on the Proximity Key Fob used on vehicles such as VW Passat B, CC, and other models between 2003 and 2011. This VW key has a built-in transponder chip. It has three buttons and an internal removable battery.
Battery Size: CR2032 Button Cell
- Press the release button by the chrome part to remove the emergency metal key.
- Remove the emergency key from the key fob.
- Press the release button again and remove the chrome part from the key fob.
- Use a flat head screwdriver to pry the shell at the exposed end.
- Remove the upper half of the key fob case. This will expose the battery.
- Use a small screwdriver to pry out the old battery.
- Slide the new battery in place and press it down. Ensure the positive side is facing up.
- Once you have installed a new battery close the case by pressing the two halves together.
- Install the chrome part and the emergency on the keyfob.
Volkswagen Routan sold in the US was build by Chrysler. The remote for the Routan is a Chrysler remote. Below you will find a video on how to change the battery on Volkswagen Routan vans.
Battery Size: CR2032 Battery
Updated 3 months 2 weeks ago