In this guide, you will find instructions on how to replace side mirror glass on Volvo vehicles.
Volvo side mirror glass can break or get damaged if we pull in too close to another car and hit the mirror. If you do not have the time to go to the dealership or repair shop to have this minor issue fixed, you can do it yourself at home.
What you will need
- Side View Mirror Glass for Volvo
- Volvo side view mirrors may be heated.
Let's take a walk through the steps needed to repair a Volvo rearview mirror at home. Use gloves and handle the broken side view mirror glass with care to avoid getting cut.
- The first step is to turn the mirror you are working on all the way until it is facing the interior of the car. When the mirror is adjusted this way, it creates a gap along the outside edge.
- Get a pry tool. You want to take a plastic pry tool and use it to gently pop the mirror out. You will insert the plastic pry tool between the frame and the glass. When you do this step, be careful that you do not drop the mirror when it comes out! Be ready to catch it so it does not fall and break.
- Disconnect the wires. You will notice that wires are connecting the glass to the frame. These are for automatic adjustment and heating. You will need to unplug these wires and then set the mirror in a safe place.
- Replace the glass. If you are only replacing the mirror, you will simply take the new mirror and plug the wires into it. Then you just line the mirror back up with the base and snap it back in place. Some Volvo models will have white tabs that you will align the new mirror with before you snap it in. This ensures that it is properly aligned.
It is a good idea to inspect all the parts inside for any cracks or damage before putting the new mirror on.
You just need a few tools and you can replace Volvo side mirror glass yourself. These instructions will work for most of the Volvo's manufactured after 1995.
It is fairly common for Volvo side rearview mirror glass to break for example if you accidentally hit the mirror when parked. But it is an easy repair you can handle at home. You just need a few tools and you will be all set. Make sure you have a flathead screwdriver on hand, as well as a plastic pry tool to remove the mirror.
You do not need to use a special adhesive to get the mirror to stick. If you buy the correct Volvo side view mirror glass it will be designed for your car. This means it will be compatible with the mirror housing and mirror plate in your car.
This tutorial applies to Volvo XC70, V70, S60, S40, V40, V50, XC60, XC90, S60, S70, S80, C30.