What you need
- Park the vehicle in a safe area and remove the key from the ignition. Set the parking brakes.
- Open the hood by pulling the hood release under the dashboard.
- Locate the battery in the engine bay.
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
- Disconnect the positive battery terminal.
- Remove the bracket that holds the battery in place.
- Remove the old battery and place the new battery in the battery tray.
- Reinstall the new battery and bracket.
- Clean the battery terminals using a battery terminal brush.
- Connect the positive battery terminal first.
- Connect the negative battery terminal last.
- Spray battery terminal protector whenever possible to prevent corrosion and improve the connection at the terminals.
You are done! Congratulations.
The video shown is from a 2015 Honda Civic, but these instructions will help you change the battery on an Accord, Pilot, Odyssey, Insight, CR-V, and other Honda vehicles that have the battery in the engine bay.
Changing the battery on a Honda is easy, requires a few basic tools, and takes approximately thirty minutes.
- The battery is dead, Honda won't start.
- Lights don't work.
- Honda engine won't crank
- You hear a click, and the engine won't turn over.
- The engine turns over very slowly.
When you replace the battery on your Honda, you may need to reenter the radio code. There is a couple of ways to get Honda radio code.
- What most Honda owners don't realize is that the radio code was written on a small card or at the beginning or end of the owner's manual. So if you still have your owner's manual, open it up and see if you notice a four to six digit code.
- Another option is to call your Honda dealer and provide them with the VIN number. You can find your Honda at the left lower corner of the windshield or vehicle registration.
- Visit https://radio-navicode.honda.com/ during working hours and input the data in the "Get Codes" tab. The website's working hours are Monday through Friday 6 am to 11 pm (CDT), Saturdays 6 am to 8:30 pm (CDT), and Sundays 6 am to 11 pm (CDT). You will be requested to provide your current number and zip code. They will also require an email address so your confirmation number can be sent to you for your records.
How long is Honda battery warranty?
A replacement battery purchased from your Honda dealer is covered by a 100-month (8 years and 4 months) limited warranty.
How much does a Honda battery cost?
Anywhere from $130 up to $250 if you have the dealer or a shop replace it.
Where can I replace my Honda battery for free?
Advance Auto Parts and Autozone will install the battery for free, if you buy a new battery from them. You can save money on a new Honda by buying online then drive to the nearest store to have it installed for free.
How long do Honda batteries last?
There is no exact answer here but most Honda batteries last between four to eight years.