Note that these instructions apply to both the driver's and passenger's side high beam light bulbs. The owner's manual recommends that you remove the headlight assembly. That is not necessary. After watching the video below, you should be able to change the high beam light bulb without removing the headlight.
What you will need
Park your Hyundai Elantra and set the parking brakes.
Open Hood. Press on the hood release under the hood. Lift the hood.
Access the back of the headlight assembly.
You don't have enough room behind the headlight to see the bulb and the metal clip that secures the bulb, but once you understand the procedure required to replace the high beam light bulb, you will be able to complete this task with your eye closed. Remove the headlight bulb cap by turning it counterclockwise.
- Disconnect the headlight bulb socket. If the socket doesn't come out easily, you may want to remove the light bulb first.
- Remove and replace the high beam light bulb. Press on the metal clip to remove the high beam light bulb from the headlight assembly. Watch the video clip a couple of times to see how to complete this step.
- Install new high beam bulb. Press the new high beam light bulb in place. Reconnect the bulb socket. Make sure the bulb is secure and doesn't move easily.
- Install the cap on the back of the headlight. Turn it clockwise to lock the cap in the headlight.
- Close the hood and test the high beams.
If both the high beams don't work, check the fuse for the high beams.