This guideline will help Hyundai Entourage, Elantra, Accent, Santa Fe, Sonata, Veloster, and other models. Pictures and video clips are from a 2016 Hyundai Elantra.
If you are replacing just the sway bar end links, you don't need a front wheel alignment. Replacing just the sway bar links does not change the camber or caster in the car.
Most common signs that your Hyundai sway bar links are bad include:
- Noise when going over bumps
- Excessive roll during turns are also symptoms of a bad sway bar link.
- Rattling Noise
- Loose Steering
- Poor handling
What you will need
- Park vehicle on level ground. Turn the engine off and place the shifter in the park position. Engage parking brakes.
- Loosen the lug nuts but don't completely remove them yet. Jack up the vehicle on the side that you plan on replacing the sway bar link.
- Apply penetrating oil to the top, and bottom sway bar end link bolts.
- Disconnect the stabilizer link from the strut assembly by removing the top nut from the stabilizer link. In this case, this is a 14 mm nut. Use a 10mm wrench to hold the stud if it starts to spin.
- Remove the bottom nut from the stabilizer link.
- Reinstall the stabilizer link in reverse order.
- Tighten the sway bar link nuts to 80 lb-ft.
Hyundai sway bar links may also be called stabilizer links, anti-sway bar links, sway bar end links.
Verify the torque specifications by calling your Hyundai dealer.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the symptoms of a bad sway bar link on a Hyundai?
- As you drive your Hyundai through the neighborhood, your car feels like it is going to fall apart. You feel every bump and hear loud noises from the front end of the car. You still haven't taken the car to your mechanic because you think this will be an expensive repair. Little did you know that sway bar ( stabilizer) links can cause those knocking noises coming from the front wheels, and they are relatively easy and cheap to replace.
Can I change the Hyundai sway bar links myself?
- You can replace sway bar links yourself. It is not that difficult to change sway bar links. It's probably easier than changing the engine oil. In this article, you will find DIY instructions on how to remove and replace the sway bar link/stabilizer link on Hyundai cars.
How long does it take to change the Hyundai sway bar link?
- Replacing the sway bar link/stabilizer bar on the Hyundai car is very easy and can be completed in under two hours.