- Replace the filter according to the Maintenance Schedule. It should be replaced every 12,000 or per the recommendation of owner's manual. If the vehicle is being driven in severe conditions such as dusty, rough roads change the filter more often.
- When the air flow rate suddenly decreases, the system should be checked for a clogged cabin air filter.
- Many people don't even know they have a cabin air filter in their vehicle or aren't aware of the health benefits of changing it. Checking the cabin air filter is a simple preventive maintenance step that goes a long way toward protecting passengers, as well as the vehicle's heating, ventilating and air-conditioning system in your car.
- Before winter sets in is a good time to check your cabin air filter.
- A dirty or clogged cabin air filter can cause musty odors in the vehicle and cause contaminants to become so concentrated in the cabin that passengers actually breathe in more fumes and particles when riding in the car compared to walking down the street. A restricted cabin air filter can also impair airflow, possibly causing interior heating and cooling problems.
What does a cabin air filter do?
- The cabin air filter keeps the air that comes into the cabin clean.
How often should I replace the cabin air filter?
- Cabin Air filters should be replaced at least once a year or even more frequently if you commute in an urban city or drive more than the national average. The recommended interval for your particular car can be found in your owner's manual.
What are the benefits of changing the cabin air filter?
- It prevents allergen and dust from coming inside the car. It keeps the air that the driver and passengers breath clean. It helps you stay healthy. It helps those with asthma or allergies.
What are signs that you need the air filter replaced?
If the air filter has not been replaced for an extended period of time you may notice:
- Reduction in airflow through the AC system
- Noise from the blower fan if you turn the fan on too high
How does a bad air filter look?
- When you inspect an air filter has not been replaced for years you will notice that the old filter may have turned black and also notice leaves, twigs, insects, grime and soot.
How much does it cost to replace the cabin air filter?
- It can cost anywhere from $30 to $90 to change the cabin air filter on your car.