- Remove the emergency key from the key fob. For help with this step, watch this video.
- Pop out the cover from the door handle on the driver's door. Some models, such as the new CX90, have to pull the door handle to expose the lock cylinder and insert the emergency key. Use the metal key to unlock the driver's door manuacylinder and insert the emergency key. Use the metal key to unlock the driver's door manually.
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard and open the hood. Ensure your Parking Brakes are engaged. Do not insert the key in the ignition yet, or press START.
- Locate the battery in the engine bay. Newer Volvos have a black cover on top of the battery that can easily be removed. While other Volvo models have a positive and ground terminal that is used to start the engine. The cover will have the marking BATTERY on top or have the POSITIVE (+) or battery symbol printed.
- Remove the battery cover.
- Locate the positive starting terminal and connect the positive (red +) jump starter clamp to the positive (+) post. If using jumper cables, connect the red clamp to the positive (+) terminal.
On some models, such as XC90, the battery is located in the trunk, but you have a POSITIVE terminal near the fuse box on the driver's side.
- Connect the black clamp of your jump starter to the ground NEGATIVE (-) terminal. Do not use the Negative (-) post battery terminal on the battery.
If using another vehicle, connect to the car with a good battery and start the engine.
- Press unlock on your key to ensure the car is powered up and the alarm system is disabled.
- Insert the key fob in the ignition, or if your vehicle has keyless START, place the keyfob on the center console.
- Start the car.If your Volvo doesn't start, only click check the jump starter connections wiggle the clamps a little bit to make sure they are making good contact. If you jump-start your Volvo with the help of another car, leave the cables connected for 15 min to charge the dead battery and try again.
These instructions will help you jump-start a Volvo battery in almost any model, including S60, V70, XC70, XC90, S40, V50, C30, C70, S80, XC60.