Follow these instructions to learn how to remove the airbag module on Mazda vehicles model years: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017.
In most Mazda vehicles, the airbag module is located under the center console.
What you will need
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
- Remove the center console trim. It can be lifted up. It is simply held in place with tabs. You need to be careful so that you don't damage the plastic trim. Now you should be able to locate the airbag module. Disconnect the electrical cables that may be on your way. In the 2016 Mazda3, the hand brake lever needs to be loosened up so that we can get to the airbag module bolts.
- Remove the bolts from the emergency handbrake. These are 12 mm bolts. Note that certain models may not require you to remove the emergency handbrake handle.
- Remove three bolts that hold the airbag module in place. These are 10 mm bolts.
- Unplug and remove your Mazda airbag module. Watch the video below on how to perform this step.
Repairing Mazda Airbag Module
If your Mazda is involved in an accident, crash codes will get stored in the airbag module. Those codes can not be cleared with an airbag scanner. The dealer will recommend that the airbag module needs to be replaced.
A cheaper alternative is to remove the airbag module from the vehicle and send it to a specialist to reset the module to its original settings.
You can find third-party vendors that will reset your Mazda airbag module (eBay link) on sites like eBay.