While pictures are from a Porsche Cayenne, these instructions should help you change the ABS wheel speed sensor on other models as well.
What you will need
- Turn off the ignition and set the parking brakes.
- Use the lug nut wrench to break loose the lug nuts. Do not remove the lug nuts or the wheel. You just need to break the lug nuts loose before you jack up the car.
- Jack up your Porsche at the designated jack spot (see owner's manual if you are not sure where to jack up your Porsche). Remove the wheel from the vehicle. Secure your Porsche with jack stands.
- Locate the ABS sensor behind the rotor.
- Insert a flat-head screwdriver in the connector slot.Then pull the connector to unplug it from the ABS sensor.
- Remove the Torx bolt that holds the ABS sensor.
- Unhook the wire from the strut tower by pulling it away from the bracket.
- Trace the wire all the way back to the connector. If the wheel liner is on the way, remove the plastic retainers that hold the liner in place.
- Install the new ABS sensor by plugging the connector. Press the sensor in the ABS sensor hole and tighten the bolt.
- Connect the wire harness. Install the wheel. Tighten the lug nuts you can on a criss-cross pattern.
- Lower the vehicle, then torque the lug nuts to 95 ft-lbs.
- Start the vehicle and, if necessary, drive for a few minutes. If the ABS light remains on, follow the instructions on the next step to diagnose the problem.
If replacing the ABS sensor does not fix the problem, inspect the wiring harness to the ABS wheel speed sensor.
If the wire is not damaged, it is possible that the ABS pump is defective and may need to be replaced.
Diagnose Porsche ABS Problems
If the ABS light stays on, use a Porsche scanner such as Launch Creader VII+ to find out why and determine which sensor is defective.
Generic OBD-II scanners can only read engine codes and not ABS codes. You will need a diagnostic scanner that can read Porsche specific fault codes in order to pull the faults from the ABS module.
This procedure works on all Porsche models, including:
- 911 (991)
- 911 (996)
- 911 (997)
- 911 GT1
- 918 Spyder
- Boxster Cayman
- Carrera GT