The instructions on this page are for programming a new or spare Cadillac key. These instructions are NOT for programming a new key fob remote.
- Open the driver's door and insert the new key in the ignition and turn the key to ON position.
- Leave the key in the ON position for ten miles. Please note that if your Cadillac battery is weak or old, you may want to connect a jump box to prevent the car battery from dying.
- Next, turn the key off, then back on for another ten minutes.
- After 10 min has passed, turn the key off and back on again.
- Wait for ten minutes again with the key in the ON position. (Position II). At this point, you will have been waiting for a total of thirty minutes.
- Turn the key off and then back on. The key is now programmed. Start the vehicle to verify.
When you have a new Cadillac key that is not programmed, it will crank the engine but can not start it. Or the engine starts runs for a few seconds.
If your Cadillac key has a metal key with a transmitter, follow instructions to program it. Use this procedure only if you have lost all your Cadillac keys. If you have a working key, see instructions in the next section.
Programming a Spare Cadillac key
Use this method to program a spare Cadillac key if you already have a working key.
- Insert the working key into the ignition and turn the key to position II. All dash lights will turn on. Do not start the engine.
- Wait five seconds with the working key in position II. (The security light car/key symbol should go out.)
- Turn the ignition off and remove the working key.
- Insert the new key and turn the ignition to position II.
- Wait five seconds with the new key in position II. (The security light car/key symbol should go out.)
- Remove the new key from the ignition.
- New Cadillac key is programmed.
If these instructions do not work, it is possible that the maximum number of keys has already been programmed to your Cadillac.
These instructions may also help Cadillac CTS, Deville, ATS, XTS, CT6, XT5, Escalade, SRX, DTS, STS, BLS, XLR that are getting a warning such as "Service Theft System" or "Disabling Starting, Please Remove Key."
If your Cadillac is equipped with Start/Stop keyless system, programming will need to be performed by the dealer.
When you order a new key from a Cadillac dealer or locksmith, you may have been told to bring the car back for programming.
Please note that for newer Cadillac models programming only be carried out by the dealer or by a locksmith specializing in GM/Cadillac vehicles.