What you will need
The procedure is the same regardless of the scanner being used.
Codes from the Engine Control Unit (ECU) can be read with a basic scanner.
Codes from systems such as transmission, airbag, anti-lock brakes, traction control, require a multi-system scanner.
- Locate the OBD connector under the dashboard on the driver's side.
- Connect your OBDII reader to the OBD connector
- Turn your key in the ignition by two clicks. On vehicles with Start/Stop press the button twice without touching the brake pedal.
- Allow the scanner to power on and select your Lexus model.
- Select Auto Scan or Full System Scan to read fault codes from all the modules. Or select Control Units to pick the system you want to diagnose.
- Select Read Fault codes. A list of fault codes will be displayed on the scanner.
Codes that show up as PRESENT or CURRENT need to be addressed.
Codes that show as STORED or PAST or HISTORY mean that they existed in the past but are not currently an issue. They can help you troubleshoot challenging problems.