The upstream sensor is before the catalytic converter, and the downstream is after the catalytic converter.
Acuras that are equipped with the 3.5L engine have two catalytic converters and four O2 sensors.
In the following guide, you will find instructions on how to change the upstream oxygen sensor on Acura vehicles.
What you will need
- Park the ACURA and open the hood. The following video shows you how to open the hood on your Acura.
- Disconnect Negative Terminal. Locate the battery on the driver's side of the engine bay and disconnect the negative battery terminal. Use a 10mm socket to loosen the nut on the black negative (-) cable and pull the cable away from the battery post.
- Locate O2 Sensor.
- Disconnect Sensor Press the connector and pull it away to unplug the oxygen sensor.
- Place the oxygen sensor socket on the sensor and break it loose. Removing the oxygen sensor on an old ACURA may be difficult at first due to rust. If the sensor doesn't come off, spray penetrating oil near the threads and wait at least 15 minutes.
- Install the new oxygen sensor. Tighten the new ACURA oxygen sensor to the recommended torque using a torque wrench. Typical torque settings are provided below.
- Connect the oxygen sensor wire harness by plugging it in until you hear it click. If you are using a universal oxygen sensor, you will need to use the diagram that came with the sensor to find out which wires to splice.
This guide applies to Acura models such as CDX, CL, VSX, EL, ILX, Integra, Legend, MDX, NSX, RDX, RL RLX, RSX, SLX, TL TLX, TSX, Vigor, ZDX. Note that Acura vehicles can have up to four oxygen sensors.
The most common symptoms that you have a bad oxygen sensor are:
- Check Engine Light is ON
- A decrease in fuel economy
- Engine Hesitation or misfire
- Rough Idling
Acura Oxygen Sensor Replacement Cost
The cost to change the Acura oxygen sensor yourself ranges in the $30-$120. Changing the oxygen sensor at the dealer can cost between $250 and $600.
The typical cost to change an Acura oxygen sensor at auto repair shops ranges from $150-$350.