How to Reset Toyota Check Engine Light
This procedure should only be performed after a repair and once all the codes have been addressed.
What you need
Follow these steps to reset the Toyota check engine light.
- Park vehicle and set the emergency brakes.
- Locate the OBD-II port under the dashboard and plug in your scanner.
- Turn on the ignition but don’t start the engine. On vehicles with Start/Stop button, press it twice without touching the brake pedal.
- Allow the scanner to turn on and connect to the car.
- Select OBD-II, then READ CODES. Make sure there are no current fault codes. If any codes show up on the scanner, they must have PAST or STORED status, not CURRENT.
- Go back and select CLEAR FAULT CODES. Press enter.
- Turn off the ignition, wait 10 seconds, and restart the engine. Check engine light should be off.
Check Engine means you have a problem that should be diagnosed and corrected as soon as possible. Do not clear the fault codes without fixing the underlying problem. Doing so could lead to more damage and a higher repair cost.
How to Reset the Toyota Maintenance Reminder
Maintenance Required means you need an oil and oil filter change, air filter change, fluid check, and other checks and changes depending on mileage. These are listed in your owner’s manual.
First, perform the recommended maintenance.
Here’s how to turn off the Maintenance Required light.
- Turn the key so the car is on.
- Make sure the odometer is displayed, not trip A or trip B.
- Turn the key so the car is off.
- Push and hold the reset button on the trip meter.
- Turn the key back on again, but not to the start position.
- The odometer will display dashes that disappear one at a time, and then a set of zeros will appear.
- Keep holding the button down until the zeros go away and the odometer reading comes back.
The appropriate maintenance should be done to ensure a long engine life.
Instructions for resetting Toyota check engine light work on all 1996 models, including Toyota Corolla, Camry, 4Runner, Rav4, Matrix, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why does the Toyota check engine light comes back on after I clear the codes?
Can I clear the codes without fixing the problem?
Will the Toyota check engine light reset itself?
Can I reset the Toyota check engine light by disconnecting the battery?