Autel Maxidas DS708 Scan Tool In-Depth Review
Updated 1 year 2 months ago
One of the most popular diagnostic tools around is the Autel Maxidas DS 708 and this is for a good reason. It is compact and comes with some of the best technology in the diagnostic tools range. What’s more, it is quite a user-friendly scanner and can be used by both DIYers and professional mechanics.Back to top
- Autel Maxidas DS708 Price
- Autel Maxidas DS708 Update Cost
- According to Autel chat support this unit has been discontinued, there are no more updates available for it. (Contacted Autel chat support on 9/18/2017)
- Autel Maxidas DS708 PDF Manual
All you have to do to put the DS708 to use is plug it into the car’s information port. This is sufficient to let the scanner retrieve and decode the data that the onboard diagnostics system provides. Depending on the results you get, you can then decide whether to have your car serviced or not.
But, the Austel MaxiDAS DS708 is not just a fault-finder. You can also use it to simply monitor how smooth your engine is running, the chassis, the electrical system and other sorts of inspection maintenance procedures for your vehicle.
Who is the tool best suited for?
The DS 807 makes it possible for small car maintenance shops to perform nearly all the maintenance procedures that automotive dealers can. Despite its small size, the tool packs quite a serious punch with its accurate results. Its diagnostics are stable and easy to execute.
But the best parts of the DS708 is that it offers quite a broad range of features despite its low price. You will find it to be so many notches above other OBDII scanners on the market and actually at par with the more expensive varieties.
Wi-Fi Internet Capability: The DS708 comes with many more functions than its counterparts within the same price range. This includes functions such as live data and ECU programming. The device also makes it possible for your whole workshop to access its data, thanks to its Wi-Fi capabilities.
Voltage Surge Protection: The tool is designed with an in-built over-voltage protection system that safeguards it and the car syste. To cut out the necessity of multiple adapters and keys, the DS708 is built with Autel’s Uni-SCAN system.
Easy-to-Use-Touchscreen: The touchscreen is not only easier to use than an ordinary scanner with buttons but it is also quite easy to clean. You will also find navigating your way around the DS708 to be a breeze especially with its 7 inches 800×480 pixel large screen. In no time, you will have it set up, get live playbacks, and you will be able to pinpoint exactly where the issues lie.
Lightweight: You never have to worry about outdated software with the DS 708. Its Wi-Fi capability means you can update the software over the internet, without that need for plugging it to your computer. The tool can automatically detect any new software updates and prompt you to install them.
Dual Core Processor: The DS708 goes deep into the vehicle system and analyses all its electric systems. It does not take much time for it to get this done thanks to its duo core processor. The boot time is also impressively short.
Back to top
Stable performance: Thanks to the genuine Windows CE operating system that powers the tool, you can expect more stable operations. It is also equipped with a USB communication system that makes quick diagnostics possible.
Pros of the DS 708
- Broad Compatibility: The tool is compatible with a wide range of vehicles so long they are OBD 2 compliant. Additionally, all 5 OBD2 protocols, as well as all ten test modes, are fully covered. Most cars from Asia, Europe, and the USA are supported.
- It is supplied with an OBD 16 cable and connector.
- Easy Operation: with the ‘One Machine, One language model’. You are free to download any extra language you might need such as Spanish, German or Russian.
- Integration of Internet Explorer: The DS708 is built with internet explorer for easy use of web resources.
- Is built with sensor initializations: ECU adaptations as well as coding/module setup feature.
- Can capture, save and even print vehicle analytics screenshots.
- Makes it easy to review data thanks to its graph, text, and analog viewing formats.
Cons of the DS 708
- There are some functions that the tool cannot perform even though Autel claims it can.
- You are required to know the chassis of your car when selecting the compatible model. That can be inconvenient since not many people have that information off the top of their heads.
- Some functions that you get used to in one year may not be valuable the following year and this can be a little frustrating.
- Unit has been discontinued and there are no more updates available
The manner in which the bug fixes and updates are rolled out might not be straightforward. If for example, the software for Mazda 3 happens to have a bug, Autel will not come up with the bug fix and release it just then. Instead, they will go ahead and create a whole new software version that comes with the bug fix, then release it as an entire software update.Back to top
MaxiDas DS708 Alternatives
There are some other diagnostic tools that you can choose if for some reason you are not able or are unwilling to use DS 708. The Launch X431 is a good substitute as it is able to write VIN and program keys. It can also replace PCM and comes with a wide vehicle coverage including OBD1.
If you would rather stick with Autel brand then consider the Autel MaxiDAS DS808 which is the newer and updated version and runs on a tablet.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is it able to calibrate steering angle sensor data as well as reset?
-Yes, it is
- How much do you need to get the scanner upgraded?
Updates are no longer provided for this unit. If you expired in 2015 an on then you will get a free update if it is before 2015 then Autel does not support it anymore.
- Can MaxiDAS DS708 be used to program keys?
-Yes, but not every car can use this feature. You need to check for compatibility.Back to top
It is not surprising that the Autel MAXIDAS DS708 comes with several software issues. What makes this count for a major con is that you have to pay for these bug fixes. The first year will get you free updates but after that, all feature upgrades have to be paid for, whether it is just a routine upgrade or a bug fix.Back to top
Autel MaxiDAS Updates
For the first year, you will get the updates at no cost. If your Autel Maxidas 708 expired in 2015 an on then you will get a free update if it is before 2015 then Autel does do not support it anymore according to Autel chat support.
The Autel Maxidas DS708 can make a great addition to your garage tools. It comes with state of the art features that can work on most vehicles. The great part is that it comes at a really great price and can be ideal for small repair shops that do not have much to spend on a diagnostic tool.
Back to top
Recommendations to Manufacturer
There are certain things that Autel should do to make the DS708 better for its users. Firstly, they have to make the bug fixes free and only leave the annual charge for updating software for new cars. Most users find the bugs and the fees that come with getting them fixed to be quite frustrating. It might also be a good idea to tabulate everything that they do to them to the new updates because most users are left in the dark about what exactly changed in the fix.