Best Professional Scan Tool for Mechanics
Updated 1 year 5 months ago
An auto mechanic working on modern cars needs to have the best OBD2 diagnostic scan tool to be successful. With so many OBD2 diagnostic scanners on the market, it may be difficult to find the best scanner for your car repair shop. In this review, we focus on some of the most popular diagnostic scanners that you need to consider. Note that if you are a DIYer, you may be interested in a multi-system OBD2 scanner instead of the scanners listed in this article. To better understand OBD2 scanners read our article on Choosing the right OBD2 scanner for DIY car repair, which explains different scanner levels and price ranges.
This review focuses on diagnostic scanners that provide similar functionality as dealer level scanners. Therefore these scanners typically cost from $1,000 to $4,000. By now you have learned that you don't want a scanner that is locked to a specific make. Instead focus on scanners that work on many brands including European, Japanese and American cars. These scanners offer functionality such as read, clear fault codes (Diagnostic Trouble Codes DTC) from all systems including Engine, Transmission, ABS, SRS, Ignition, Stability Control, Steering Angle, Service Reset, etc. A dealer lever scan tool should also be able to actuate sensors and display live sensor data. With these factors in mind, let us look like at some of the best OBD2/EOBD Diagnostic Scanners for Mechanics.
Top 4 Best Diagnostic Scanner for Car Mechanics
1. Solus Ultra Snap-on Automotive Scan Tool
The Snap-on diagnostic scanner is one of the most popular scan tools that most auto mechanics use. It can be enabled for Domestic, Asian and European cars. It has numerous adapters to connect to make specific ports such as BMW 20 pin adapter and Mercedes 36 pin round adapter etc. Check complete details of the Solus Ultra scan tool and software on the official Snap-on website.
The Solus Ultra has many advantages such as very good vehicle coverage, great battery life, fast boot-up, quick connection to the ECU and Control Units. In the end, the Snapon Ultra is a great scan tool. Note that it does have OBD-1 connectors for cars older than 20 years. If you don't work on cars before 1996 then this is the perfect scanner for any mechanic. Solus Ultra is a better option than the now obsolete Snap on Modis.
Check Lowest Price: Snapon Ultra
2. Autel MaxiSys Pro MS908P Diagnostic Android Tablet
The MaxiSys MS908P is an Android Based professional diagnostic scan tool. It has an extensive vehicle coverage including Asian, European and US vehicles. It connects to multiple system units and is able to read, clear codes, display live data, perform adaptations, coding and sensor actuation. Definitively one of the best possible dealer level diagnostic scanners which would be a perfect choice for any mechanic and car repair shops. Easy to update the diagnostic software via the WiFi.
The MS908P has many programming features that will need to repair cars nowadays. It is able to perform functions such as electronic brake programming, new battery registration, reset transmission shifting points to name a few.
The MS908P is the new scanner that replaced the popular Autel DS708.
- Auto-Vin technology for fast and precise vehicle identification
- Latest technology in Special functions and advanced coding function
- Uniquely integrated vehicle programming capabilities working with an SAE J2534-1 & -2 compliant vehicle programming pass-thru interface
- Maxisys Pro has the best coverage of OE-level diagnostics and online flash programming in BMW and Benz vehicles
- With New MaxiFlash Elite (J2534 box) automatically connects via long range BT to the host tablet with quick verification icon
- Main cable
- Chrysler-16 (America Only)
3. Launch X431 V+ Full System Diagnostic OBD2 Android Wifi Tablet Scan Tool
A powerful scan tool that will allow any mechanic to diagnose car problems just like dealers do. A powerful scan tool that's worth every penny. It has Bluetooth connector and wifi capabilities. It can read and clear fault codes from almost all systems including ECU, transmission, traction, ABS, body control module. Reset adaptation data. You will be able to read and clear diagnostic trouble code (DTC), stream data, reset maintenance recommendations. Activate sensors. Graph live sensor data.
Compatible Car Makes: Ford, Chrysler, GM, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Fiat, Peugeot, Saab, GMSA, EOBD2 Cars, Jaguar, Renault, Smart, Sprinter, VAZ, VW, Dacia, Land Rover, Romeo, Porsche, Volvo, AUDI, Citroen, Lancia, Acura, Daewoo, Lexus, Holden, Maruti, Tata, Infiniti, Proton, Isuzu, Mazda, Suzuki, Daihatsu, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Hyundai, Kia, Nissan, Subaru, Honda.
While it is not required to register the Launch scanners to use them, in order to get updated and get the most out of the scanner including warranty coverage you need to register the scanner online.
X431 V+ Connectors:
Android edition diagnostic adapter
BENZ-38 diagnostic adapter
DAEWOO-12 diagnostic adapter
AUDI-4 diagnostic adapter
BENZ-14 diagnostic adapter
BMW-20 diagnostic adapter
CHRYSLER-6 diagnostic adapter
DAIHATSU-4 diagnostic adapter
FIAT-3 diagnostic adapter
FORD-6+1 diagnostic adapter
GAZ diagnostic adapter
GEELY-22 diagnostic adapter
GM/VAZ-12 diagnostic adapter
HONDA-3 diagnostic adapter
KIA-20 diagnostic adapter
MAZDA-17 diagnostic adapter
MITSUBISHI/HYUNDAI-12+16 diagnostic adapter
NISSAN-14+16 diagnostic adapter
SSANGYONG-14 diagnostic adapter
SSANGYONG-20 diagnostic adapter
SUBARU-9 diagnostic adapter
SUZUKI-3 diagnostic adapter
TOYOTA-17 diagnostic adapter
TOYOTA-22 diagnostic adapter
UNIVERSAL-3 diagnostic adapter
4. Genisys 3874 EVO 2012 Domestic/Asian /2011 European with System 5.0 Includes ABS/Air Bag
If you are looking for a readily available scan tool the OTC 3874 Genisys scanner may be your best choice. Genisys EVO can be purchased at any major online retailer or local part store. It works on Domestic, European and Japanese cars. One of the strengths of the Genisys scanner is that it provides the recommendation on the possible fixes. It can perform automated scans. It is capable of diagnosing multiple systems including engine, airbag, transmission, traction control, ABS, TPMS etc. Comes with the Pathfinder troubleshooting information aimed at helping technicians find problems quickly.
The Genisys EVO has been around for nearly a decade now. It is one of the best scan tools for classic and older cars.
- GM: Brake Pressure Sensor Calibration, Setup New HVAC, Reset Transmission Adapts, Trans Adaptive Values Learn.
- Ford - Reset Battery Monitor System, Power Balance, and Relative Compression tests.
- Chrysler - IAC Reset, Learn ETC, Reset Cam Crank Sync, Transmission Quick Learn, Program Tire Size.
- Honda - Engine Oil Life Reset, Maintenance Item Reset, ATF Reset, Steering Angle Sensor Calibration.
- Toyota - Zero Point Calibration/Test Mode, Tire Pressure Sensor Registration, Reset Memory and more Brake Bleeds.
- Nissan - Reset Throttle Value Replacement Adaption, Brake Bleeds, Steering Angle Sensor Adjustment, and Zero point calibration / test.
- Kia - Reset Adaptive Values, TPMS Registration and ABS Bleeding.
- Hyundai and Kia - Cam Phasers, EVAP Solenoids, Fans, Fuel Pump, Injectors, Transmission solenoids.
- BMW - Battery Exchange Register, Brake Zeroing, Inspection Service Interval Reset, Oil Service Reset, and Steering Angle Sensor.
- Mercedes - Maintenance Resets, Injectors Zero Point Learn, Reset Mixture Adaptation, Reset Steering Angle Calibration, and Reset Throttle Valve Adaptation.
- Volvo - Yaw Rate Calibration, Steering Angle Calibration, Tire Pressure Sensor Registration, and Service Light Reset.
- Audi and Volkswagen: Output Test, Basic Settings, Controller Coding, Adaptation, and Coding II
Check Lowest Price: OTC 3874 Genisys
We hopes that you get a few ideas as you decide which scanner to use in your shop. These diagnostic scanners aren't cheap, but you will be able to diagnose cars and troubleshoot problems just like the dealers can. Look for a scanner that will not be able to read and clear fault codes from all the system in popular car brands, but that can perform programming, coding, and activation of sensors which help with pinpointing car problems. If you operate a busy repair shop, you may realize that often you need more than one scanner to be able to cover every possible car problem.