A faulty ABS wheel speed sensor on a Tesla will trigger several warning messages, and a number of systems get disabled.
Typical errors caused by a faulty ABS wheel speed sensor on a Tesla include:
- ABS System Disabled
- ABS Needs Service
- ABS Needs Service
- Traction Control Disabled
- Stability Control Disabled
- Anti-lock Braking System Disabled
- Regenerative Braking Disabled
- Car Needs Service Contact Tesla Service
If you are getting these warning messages, first carry out a soft reset. While the vehicle is stopped, press and hold both scroll wheels on the steering wheel.
If a soft reset does not work, carry out a hard reboot.
- Park vehicle.
- Go to Controls
- Go to eBrake
- Select Power Off
- Press on the brakes, and the system will reboot.
Next, go to the Service Section under Main Menu and go under Wheel Configuration. Verify the wheel configuration and press confirm. Even if you did not change the wheels or tires, pressing Confirm the vehicle will power off and restart. This simple procedure may return your Tesla to normal operation.
Two common problems that cause Tesla's ABS warning messages are faulty ABS wheel speed sensor or faulty ABS pump. To find out what is causing this warning, you will need to read the fault codes from the ABS control unit.
If the problem is the ABS wheel speed sensor, replacing it is very easy and takes about 30 min.
What you will need
Here are the steps on how to replace the ABS wheel speed sensor on a Tesla.
- Park the Tesla on level ground.
- Loosen the lug nuts for the wheel that has the bad ABS wheel speed sensor.
- Jack up the vehicle and secure it with jack stands.
- Unhook the wire from the suspension. Keep note of the exact location of the wire so that you can route the new ABS sensor wire the same way. It helps to take a picture before removal.
- Remove the 10mm bolt that secures the ABS wheel speed sensor to the vehicle.
- Disconnect the connector by the frame using a flathead screwdriver.
- Route the new sensor wire the same way the old sensor was routed.
- Install the new ABS wheel speed sensor.
- Get inside the vehicle and perform a system reboot.