How to make Mercedes COMAND Region FREE Play any DVD
Back in the mid-1990s, DVD players were sold to play DVD from a specific region. This nonsense restriction is still applied to Mercedes-Benz cars. If your Mercedes-Benz ML, GL, R, S Class can play DVDs, you will soon learn that it will only play DVDs from a specific region. If you export or take the car to another country, you will not be able to play DVDs from that place.
The good news is that if you have the right tools, you can make your Mercedes-Benz play DVDs, from any region. In this post, we will explore how to enable just that. Your Mercedes Benz is locked to play DVDs from one of these regions only.
- North America and Canada
- Western Europe and Japan
- Southeast Asia
- South America and Australia
- Africa, Eastern Europe, Russia
First of all, you should be responsible for complying with your local laws.
Making Mercedes COMAND Region Free
For this procedure, you will need to take the car to a mechanic that has a Mercedes Star Diagnostic scanner. Your Mercedes dealer may perform this as well, for a fee of course.
- Connect Start diagnostic scanner to the OBD Port.
- Launch Xentry and select your vehicle.
- Press F2 a few times until you get connected to your vehicle.
- Select Control Units
- Select Information and Communication
- Select Audio, video, navigation and telematics
- Select Control Unit COMAND
- Hit F2 a couple of times.
- Control Unit Adaptations
- Select Area Code (DVD)
- Select Coding to CODE-FREE
Press F3 to write coding to the Head Unit. Cycle the key off. Wait 10 seconds and you should have a region free Mercedes COMAND/NAV system. Note, that on some models you may need to access the region settings from Developer menu.