The procedure to unlock and jump-start a 2nd generation Volvo XC90 that has a dead battery is simple. Manually open the driver's door, then open the hood. Connect a jump box to the positive and ground terminal located next to the main fuse box in the engine bay.
- Remove the metal key from the keyfob. Your Volvo smart key fob has a metal blade inside that can be used to unlock the driver's door.
- Pull the driver's door handle out as if you are going to open the door. Keep the handle pulled. This will expose the lock cylinder. Insert the metal blade in the lock cylinder and turn it to unlock the driver'scylinder. Insert the metal blade in the lock cylinder and turn it to unlock the driver'scylinder and turn it to unlock the driver's door.
- Pull the hood release located under the dashboard on the driver's side.
- Go to the front of the vehicle and press the yellow hood latch release under the hood. The yellow release is just above the headlight on the driver's side.
- Connect the red clamp to the positive battery terminal located on the driver's side of the engine.
- Connect the black clamp to the ground terminal located near the strut tower, driver's side. The ground terminal is next to the main fuse box.
- Place your key fob on the bottom of the cup holder in the center console.
- Press the brake pedal and turn the START button to start the engine.
These instructions apply to Volvo XC90 model years, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021.