What you will need
Turn off the engine. Before you get started replacing the car battery on your Chrysler Crossfire, step one is to turn off the ignition and remove the key. Chrysler (Mercedes) can be sensitive to voltage drops, and keep the key in the ignition can cause electrical problems.
Pull the hood release under the dashboard and open the hood.
Locate Battery. On a Crossfire, the battery is located in the engine bay, passenger side.
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal first. Next, disconnect the positive battery terminal.
Remove battery hold-down bracket. Here is a close-up picture of the battery bracket on a Chrysler Crossfire.
Carefully lift the battery and remove it.
- Install the new battery in reverse order. Connect the negative terminal last.
- Spray the battery protector on the battery posts when possible to protect the posts from corrosion.
- When you turn on the radio, it may display CODE. You will need to enter the radio code using the numbers on the radio. The radio code may be handwritten written in your owner's manual, or it may be on the radio housing. If you do not have the radio code, you will need to remove the radio using Mercedes Radio Removal Tools on eBay to get the serial number on the back.These tools can be inserted in the two slots at the front of the radio and allow you to pull out the radio.The photo above shows the Serial Number on the back of a Crossfire radio. Once you have the serial number, you can call a Chrysler (or Mercedes-Benz dealer) to get the code. If the dealerships refuse to provide the code, another option is to buy the code (typically less than $10) from these eBay sellers.
- Operate the windows. Press the window switch and keep it pressed for an additional five seconds when the windows reach the up position. Repeat for window down position. This step synchronizes the window one-touch feature.
It is important to have the correct battery size for your Chrysler Crossfire.
It is possible to replace the battery without losing the vehicle settings such as radio code and one-stop feature. If you don't want to lose all settings or don't know the radio code, connect a secondary power source such as a jump starter to the battery cables before disconnecting them from the battery.
When the battery cables are removed from the old battery, the car stays powered up by the secondary power source. This method can lead to electrical problems if not performed properly. The positive cable will be loose, and if it touches the frame of the vehicle or battery tray, it will short, which can cause electrical problems or fires.