The hood strut may be the culprit if you are experiencing any of the following problems.
- Cadillac hood won't stay up.
- The hood stays open for a few seconds and then closes.
- Hood won't stay open by itself anymore.
- Hood closes automatically
What you will need
- Cadillac Hood Support
- Flathead Screwdriver
- Two People
- Open the hood of your Cadillac. The hood latch release is located under the dashboard on the driver's side.
Your browser does not support video tag.
- Have a friend hold up the hood. If the hood falls while changing the Cadillac hood supports, someone could get seriously injured.
- Secure the hood in an upright position. Locate the hood struts that need to be replaced.
- Locate the clip that locks the hood support to the joint. Use a flathead screwdriver to pry out the clip that locks the hood strut in place.
- Install the new hood support in reverse order.
- Repeat this procedure for the other hood support if your Cadillac has two.
In this guide, you should have learned how to replace the hood lift support(s) on Cadillac vehicles such as the ATS, CTS, XTS, CT6, XT5, Escalade, SRX, DTS, STS, BLS, and XLR.
Changing the hood support(s) on any Cadillac is very easy and typically takes less than half an hour. Follow the instructions or watch the video on how to change a Cadillac gas-filled hood support.