The trunk strut may be the culprit if you are experiencing any of the following problems.
- Cadillac trunk won't stay up.
- The trunk lid will not stay open.
- Liftgate stays open for a few seconds, then shuts.
- Trunk won't stay open by itself anymore.
- Trunk closes automatically
What you will need
- Park the Cadillac on a level surface and set the parking brakes. Turn off the ignition.
- Press the trunk release button. Open the trunk and have a friend hold up the trunk of your Cadillac. If the trunk falls while you are changing the trunk lifts on your Cadillac, you can get seriously injured.
- Locate the trunk struts that need to be replaced. If your Cadillac has trunk struts on both sides of the trunk, it is recommended to replace both at the same time.
- Locate the clip that locks the trunk support locks to the joint.
- Use a flat screwdriver to pry out the clip that secures the trunk strut in place. Follow the same procedure for the other end. Install the new trunk support in reverse order. Repeat this procedure for the other side.
The trunk supports may vary between models, but overall these instructions will help you change the trunk struts on various Cadillac models, including the