Fixing a rock chip is easy to do and only takes about 30 minutes. It can be done on chips less than an inch and cracks less than four inches.
This repair will help minimize the appearance and stop the spread of the chips and cracks in your windshield. The durable resin used to fill in the flaws in your windshield will leave it stronger than before. Follow along with our video and step-by-step guide; with our guidance, tips, and tricks, you too will be able to easily repair your own windshield.
Common causes for chipped or cracked windshields:
- Extreme temperature/ weather changes
- Road hazards and accidents
- High-speed road debris flung up by other vehicles while traveling
What you will need
- First, start by putting the tool over the damage. Make sure the center of the tool lines up with the damage and the suction cups surround it.
- Push the suction cup onto the windshield to secure the tool into place. If it is a large crack, position the suction cup so that it is not on the part of the damage.
- With the tool securely in place and lined up with the damage, screw in the resin chamber in the center of the tool. Screw it all the way down until it is touching the windshield. Make sure it is tightly screwed down and aligned properly. If needed, look through the windshield from inside the vehicle.
- Next, pour the resin into the chamber. Use four to five drops. Screw the driver in the chamber all the way down, and this will help the resin set. Wait for five to ten minutes for the resin to set.
- Then, unscrew the driver from the chamber, repeat the process with the resin one more time.
- Give the resin time to set again and unscrew the driver from the chamber after waiting. Remove the suction cups and tools from the windshield.
- Cover the resin with the curing strip. Wait for twenty-four hours and use the included razor blade to scrape off the excess resin and curing strip. Clean your windshield with a glass cleaner; you are done!
Should I repair my windshield myself?
When the damage is minor, it is usually repairable. If the spot on your windshield is deemed repairable with a DIY kit, then it is a good idea to do it. Small chips and cracks that are around an inch in size can usually be repaired with these kits.
You could save hundreds of dollars as well as your time by doing it yourself. You can usually use one of these kits before you can get an appointment to have the windshield repaired, and repairing the damage asap will prevent further damage.
All makes Acura, Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin, Audi, Bentley, BMW, Bugatti, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, GMC, Honda, Hummer, Hyundai, Infiniti, Izusu, Jaguar, Jeep, Kia, Lamborghini, Lancia, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Maserati, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Mercury, Mini Cooper, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Oldsmobile, Opel, Peugeot, Pontiac, Porsche, Renault, Saab, Saturn, Scion, Seat, Skoda, Smart, Subaru, Suzuki, Tesla, Toyota, Vauxhall, Volkswagen, Volvo.
All years: 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021