How to open a door Ford with a dead battery?
- If you have the intelligent remote, you will need to open it up to access the metal key. On the back of the remote, there is a release switch. Otherwise, press the key release button to flip out the metal blade.
- Remove the cover and locate the metal key blade or also known as the emergency key.
- Use the metal blade to remove the cover from the driver's door handle. Insert the metal key into the hole in the bottom of the driver's door handle.
- Once you slide over the cover, you will be able to see the keyhole.
- Insert the key into the door lock and turn towards the back of the car to unlock your Ford. If the key won't go in or turn, spray penetrating oil on the keyhole and try again.
If your metal key doesn't unlock the driver's door, try inserting the key in and out a few times. If that doesn't work, spray penetrating oil in the keyhole and retry.
How to open a Ford Fusion trunk with a dead battery
We often get asked how to open a Ford Fusion hybrid trunk with a dead battery.
To open the trunk in a Ford Fusion with a dead battery, you will need to manually open the driver's door and the hood. Then locate the jump-start terminals under the hood to power up the vehicle and open the trunk by pressing the button on the dashboard or keyfob.
Follow these step-by-step instructions on how to open the trunk of a Ford with a dead battery.
- Remove the metal key from the keyfob. All smart keyfobs have a metal key inside that can be used to unlock the driver's door.
- Remove the cap on the driver's door and unlock the door.
- Pull the hood release and open the hood.
- Locate the battery jump-start terminals in the engine bay. Look for a red plastic cover directly in front of the driver's side. That is the positive terminal. For the negative, there is a ground bolt sticking up out of the shock tower. Connect jump starter or a battery charger at these terminals to power up the vehicle.
- Press unlock on the keyfob or the trunk release button on the dashboard to open the trunk.
If you need to jump-start a Ford with a dead battery, use the terminals in the engine bay. Do not jump from the battery in the trunk.
Watch this video on how to jump-start a Ford Fusion. Do not jump from the battery in the trunk.
These instructions apply to multiple Ford models such as Fiesta, Mustang, Fusion, Edge, F150, etc.