When your Honda airbag system functions properly, the airbag light comes on when you turn on the ignition but should turn off once you start the engine.
If the airbag system detects a problem, you will see the airbag light stay on. In newer models, a warning message will display on the dashboard stating the "check airbag system."
Driving a Honda with an airbag light increases the chances of serious injury if you get into an accident.
Common problems that can trigger Honda airbag lights to come on.
- Passenger occupancy sensor.
- Disconnected or damaged wire harness.
- Faulty connectors.
- Blown airbag.
- Blow pre-tensioner.
- Dead battery.
- Clock Spring.
- Fault stored in the SRS module after an accident.
- Defective clock spring.
- Low battery voltage.
- Unplugged connector.
- Damaged Wire harness.
- Damaged SRS / crash sensor.
- Defective airbag.
The Airbag system is comprised of a control unit, multiple sensors, seat-belt buckles, tensioners, and airbags themselves. Any of these components can fail.
To find out why your Honda airbag light is on, read the SRS / Airbag module's fault codes.
How to Read Codes and Reset Honda Airbag Light
To diagnose and reset SRS faults, you will need a Honda OBD-II scanner such as Foxwell for Honda.
Basic code readers are not able to diagnose or reset the Honda airbag light.
- Locate the OBD-II port under the dashboard and connect your scanner.
- Turn on the ignition but do not start the engine.
- Allow the scanner to power on. Go to the Control Unit and select the Airbag menu.
- Scroll down to Read Codes. Review all the codes.
- If codes are in STORED status, you can then proceed to clear the codes. If codes are PRESENT or PERMANENT, you will need to fix the issue before resetting the Honda airbag light with a scanner.
In the case of faulty or broken SRS components, the faulty component(s) will need to be replaced.
Do not install an airbag that was removed from a Honda due to a recall.
Check if there is a recall related to the SRS for your particular Honda vehicle.
If the fault is related to the recall, your Honda dealer will fix it free of charge, even if the vehicle is out of warranty.
Frequently Asked Questions
My Honda airbag light is on, but I get no codes.
You are most likely using a scanner that can not read fault codes from the airbag module. Most generic OBD2 scanners can't read Honda airbag codes. Here is a list of scanners that can read and clear Honda airbag fault codes.
On which models can you reset the Honda airbag light with a scanner?
On any 1996 and newer Honda that has an OBD2 port under the dashboard. Including models such as
Can I reset my Honda airbag light by disconnecting the battery?