Common symptoms indicating a problem with your Honda alternator include:
- The battery light stays on
- Dead battery
- Car dies when driving
- Lights are dim
- Whining and growling noise
- Having trouble starting the engine
What you will need
Follow these steps to change the alternator on a Honda 3.5 L V6 engine.
- Park the vehicle on level ground and let it cool down. If the engine is still hot, you risk getting burned.
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard and open the hood. Secure the hood with the hood support.
- Locate the battery in the engine bay and disconnect the negative battery terminal.
- Spray penetrating oil to the bolts that you will remove especially if it is the first time the alternator will be replaced. The bolts tend to get rusted and can be difficult to remove otherwise.
- Remove the components that are blocking your access to the alternator, like the power steering fluid reservoir and the overflow reservoir and any lines.
- Take a photo or maybe draw the serpentine belts routing, so you will not have a hard time installing it back.
- Use the 14mm wrench with the pipe as an additional handle so you will not have to exert too much force to push it towards the windshield side to release the tension on the belt so you can slide the serpentine belt out. The tensioner socket may not always be 14mm.
- Remove the bracket on top of the alternator. These bolts can rust and break easily. It's important to spray penetrating oil on these bolts and wait for at least fifteen minutes before you remove the bolts.
- Remove the alternator bolts.Remove the long alternator bolt on the bottom of the alternator.
- Disconnect the positive terminal at the back of the alternator. This is typically a 12mm nut. We had to use a few extensions in order to break this nut loose.
- Unplug the connector at the back of the alternator. Press the connector, then pull to unplug it.
- Using both of your hands, you have to rock the alternator up and down while pulling it up.
- Remove the alternator from the vehicle.
- Slide the new alternator back to its position and install the long bolt, and set the torque to 33 lbs. ft.
- Install the top bolt and bracket of the alternator and set it to 16 lbs. ft.
- Install the new serpentine belt in its original routing position and make sure that the belt is seated on the pully groove.
- Connect the connector and terminal of the alternator.
- Connect the battery terminal.
- Start the engine and check voltage. With the engine running, you should be getting between 14.0 and 14.7 volts.
Frequently Ask Questions
How much does it cost to replace a Honda Alternator?
- The average cost to replace a Honda Alternator is between $447 and $800. Labor costs are estimated between $125 and $250, while parts are priced between $350 and $600.
How long does a Honda Alternator last?
- The average life span of an Alternator is about 6 to 10 years. It depends on how many miles the vehicle is driven regularly and how many aftermarket accessories the owner have installed, which may cause the alternator to work overtime.
How to test an alternator?
- Using a voltmeter, connect your positive lead to the positive terminal of the battery and negative lead to the negative terminal of the battery. You should be getting 14 v to 14.8 v, which means your alternator is working properly.
- ACURA MDX 2003-2006 3.5L
- ACURA MDX 2007-2009 3.7L
- ACURA RL 2005-2008 3.5L
- ACURA TL 2004-2008 3.2L
- ACURA TL 2007-2008 3.5L
- HONDA ODYSSEY 2005-2007 3.5L
- HONDA PILOT 2005-2008 3.5L
- HONDA RIDGELINE 2006-2008 3.5L
Manufacturer Part Number AS-D219
Interchange Part Number 31100-RDJ-A01,31100-RGL-A01,CSC10,CSD29,AND0339,VND0339
Other Part Number 104210-3100,104210-4290, 104210-4300,104210-4301
Cross Part Number 31100-RGL-A01,31100-RGM-A01,31100-RJA-A01,31100-RJA-A02
Supersed Part Number 31100-RYP-A01,CSD29,CSD30,CSD69,400-52163,400-52252R
There may be more part numbers not included in this list.
- Honda Civic Alternator Replacement Cost - repairpal.com
Honda Ridgeline 2006 alternator replacement - youtube.com
Change Alternator Honda Pilot - instructables.com
Honda Odyssey Alternator Test - youtube.com